What to major in?

Hi moms, just wanted some advice as far as what I should major in. I only have my HS diploma and have been thinking a lot about going to college to get my undergraduate degree. I have a few ideas in mind, one of them being to major in nutrition, journalism or library science. I work in a library so it would make plenty of sense to get my degree in library science however I don't know if there is much I can do with this degree.

I would really like to major in one of these areas and since I have kids income would play a role in helping me make my decision. Any advice would help!

kittymom83

Asked by kittymom83 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in

• Taking your prerequisites will give you some time to decide. Once at school, you can talk to students/staff and make a better decision. Good luck!
    haysmum

Answer by haysmum at 6:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Yes, I agree. I have thought about that too. If I continue to be indecisive I'm just going to start with general ed requirements and go from there. I finally decided that I've just waited too long to go back to school.
    kittymom83

Comment by kittymom83 (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• In my experience, I just finished, you just have to sign up and show up.
    haysmum

Answer by haysmum at 6:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• You might want to search this link for career ideas.  It will show what careers will be in demand in the future.  Maybe some of them might match up with your interets.  GL no matter what you decide. 

http://www.bls.gov/oco/

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i would say nutrition. because there are alot of areas that can be specialized.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Nutrition. I don't know you at all, so I don't know what your strength and weaknesses are, but I am thinking about job opportunity.

Journalism is great if you are good, and in the right place at the right time. That doesn't always happen. Library science seems like too much of a niche, it doesn't give you enough to fall back on. Nutrition has a lot more options, you can work as a private consultant with your own business and clients all the way up to a corporate setting, or a hospital setting.

Make a list of your personal strengths and weaknesses, then I would look for job opportunities and see what is available in the career path of your choice. More general is better than a niche. There are majors and minors too. So a business major with a minor in English or possibly journalism might be a good pairing too. Just be sure to have a fallback plan whatever you select. Talk to the career counseling center at your school.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:27 AM on Jan. 13, 2011