If you paid your friend to babysit for you, is it okay for her to expect you to watch her child, for free, because you "owe" her?

I purposely made a point to offer to pay her because I did not want to "owe" anybody. I don't mind babysitter for her, even for free, if she needs me one night but I don't think it should be because I "owe" her for babysitting for me when I paid her for it. Am I correct to feel this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• Don't feel like you owe her. And she shouldn't feel like you owe her either.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 6:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• you're right

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Seem logical to me. If you pay her then you don't owe her anything.
    If you are worried about your friend just explain that you want to make sure she is properly compensated for her time and you are not sure if you will always be able to watch her kids when she needs it. This way, no one feels like they got used.
    Hope things work out.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 6:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• yeahhh you don't owe her anything.
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 6:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If you paid her then you don't owe her. What's left to owe?
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• no she should pay you
    you could both used the money
    but if she had done it for free then you could do it for free
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 6:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Either pay or return services, not both, IMO. Make sure everybody's expectations are clear.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Exactly. Its not right to try to guilt someone like that. Its kind of manipulative when you think about it. What she should really do is ask you the right way for a favor and not say you "owe" her.
    kittymom83

Answer by kittymom83 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• You are right. You already paid her. But I would just go along if she is your friend. Don't pay her next time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't think you OWE her, you paid her for her services. But instead of paying, why don't you do alternate sitting for each other, if you're able to accomodate that into your schedule. It's free and works for both of yall =) If yall are friends, good ones at that, then there shouldbe no ''owing one another''
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2011