Should your Hubby or SO help around the house or with kids if you stay home full time?

I know I will probably get mixed views, but I was curious what everyone thought...

homemommie

Asked by homemommie at 6:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• The kids,yes. At least so you can get a hour or so to unwind!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Yes.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 6:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Nope. In my house that's not how it goes. If he wants too, he will help. He works all day. Why
    should he have to come home, and take care of the babies.... ????

As a SAHM, my job is the house/cleaning, cooking, and our babies.
    I love how everything is, and I would not change it. At all.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I've always felt that on hubby's days off it is both parents jobs to take care of the home and the kids. It's a joint responsibility always.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i'm a SAHM of 2, prego with #3, and i don't expect that of my DH. he works graveyards so he sleeps during the day. he works 11pm-7am 5 nights a week except for every 3rd week when he works a 6th night optional 7th. that is his job and i consider me being at home and taking care of the house and kids my job. yes, it's great when he gets a break and gets to spend time with the kids and i can take a break, but i don't expect him to do anything around the house.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• When I stayed home he did nothing now that I have a job he does nothing. He said to me when I make fifty thousand dollars he will help.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Of course. I think that staying home all day with children is a tough job, and throwing in all the housework as well? I think that alot of the work is probably going to be on the parent that stays home because most of the time chores are done during the day, but the spouse can pick up after themselves, do small evening chores, cook meals, and help with everything on the weekends.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 6:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Im a SAHM but think my husband should come home and help somewhat. I dont expect him to do cooking and cleaning and watch our child the rest of the night when he is home. But I do expect him to not leave food out, throw clothes where ever he wants or trash the place. Its not difficult to help clear the table and put the dishes in the sink, nor is it hard to put dirty clothes in the basket. But I would never ever expect him to clean the house up and down, cook our dinner as he walks in, and bathe our daughter and do the bedtime routine.
    Allie120

Answer by Allie120 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have worked full time and I have stayed home full time. Maybe I'm selfish but I look at it like, staying at home, i'm working 24/7. I start in the morning doing breakfast, then go to cleaning, then do dinner, then baths and to bed. Why should my husband get to just unwind in the evening and let me continue working? He would get off work and want to help around here...he loves helping cook dinner. The days that I take it easy then he comes home and does too. When I worked full time, I would still have to come home after work and cook, clean, bathe, ect. Being a parent, Mom /andor Dad, its a 24 hour job.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have been home for almost 4 yrs and we have 3 kids...9, 3 and 8 mos. Honestly, I have a hard time balancing it all and trying to find any time for myself. Hubby will help if I ask. He will take the garbage off and the lawn. He will cook every now and then. He cooks for a living so you can see how he doesn't want to do that often. I am really trying to get my 9 yr old to help out more. She is abit of a princess. My 3 yr old is learning- he is Autistic, and my 8 mos old can be very demanding and tiresome when he doesn't sleep throught the night...lol
    homemommie

Comment by homemommie (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011