Looking for some gourmet (ish) cake recipes.

Cookies n Cream cake, Chocolate Turkey cake, etc... Anything like this that's just out of the ordinary, but nothing that's heavy with dairy, like cheesecake-cake or that stuff.

It should also be delicious without frosting. I'm making a care package for a friend that's deployed and his brother.

Please post links to recipes that you have used or real recipes. Not just add strawberry glaze to a box of vanilla and bake kind of thing. =)

Thanks <3

Razelda

Asked by Razelda at 6:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Food & Drink

• try googling the recipe- works for me :)
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 8:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't like to Google and come across 50 different kinds of cake that no one knows if they're good or bad.

I usually try AllRecipes, but it's coming up with a lot of CAKE (like, cake-itself, not just flavors of cake) recipes. Like a worm cake, etc.... None of that will work for me. When I type in exactly what kind of cake I am looking for, I don't get any recipes that'll really work for me... They all contain too much dairy, cream cheese, etc. None of that will work when shipping things to the desert.
    Razelda

Comment by Razelda (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Epicurious.com. Its my go to site . Its the Bon Appetit magazine site. you can specify main ingredients
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Mmm, I love making that kind of cake. I rarely frost them. I dont' know how long they'd last going overseas though...Anyway, a couple of my favorites - take any chocolate cake mix, use 1 cup sour cream instead of 1 cup water (if it calls for 1 1/4 cup water, use 1 c sc & 1/4 c water), an extra egg, same amount of oil, and mix a small pudding mix & handful of any chocolate (chips, chopped, etc) into the mix before mixing the wet & dry ingredients. Bake in a Bundt pan or small cake pans. If you want to top it, make a ganache (allrecipes has a simple 2 ingredient recipe). Or use any flavor cake (though spice, vanilla, flavors like that, are better), mash 2-3 bananas, use less water but same eggs & oil, or pumpkin with less water, less oil, same eggs. Any cake is more gourmet-ish when it's baked in a bundt pan too. Sorry I don't have actual recipes, I just do a lot off the otp of my head.
    Anonymous