Is a grandma expected to babysit on her day off work just cuz she's home? I feel so guilty saying no.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• No she is not! If you only have 1 day off and want to relax, tell them that you are tired and need to relax. Sometimes you just need time for yourself!
    mommy4life15

Answer by mommy4life15 at 12:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• NO!
    Anonymous

• No you are not. Grandmas are supposed to invite grandkids to spend the day when they want to. They are also entitiled to days off when they work. I am amazed at how many grandparents are taking care of grandchildren. I bet for free too, in many cases and simply because they don't want to say no. Consider it helping the parents be self sufficient. If you can take them once in awhile, make the offer to do that. Let them now ahead if you can so they can skip the arrangments for a babysitter that day and tell them that's why you will let them know in advance. If they get mad, oh well.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 12:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• If you only have one day off, even if you had 2 days off. If you don't feel like babysitting you have the right to say NO!! and don't feel guilty about it. You Shouldn't
    kcaldwell0651

Answer by kcaldwell0651 at 12:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Thank you ladies!! I have Sun and Mon off, Sun is family day. I have been busy spring cleaning the house on top of the usual chores, and having the two young ones over I would not have anything accomplished. I never asked my mom or MIL to babysit all day (DR. appts only) and for free when my children were young, but it seems that dd and friends expect dear old grandma to be there. What ever happened to having a babysitter you could trust? School doesn't start until the end of Aug., I see many more stressful Mondays as a result. Thank you again for you support and chasing my guilty feelings away.
    Anonymous

• as a fellow Grandma my advice is have a talk with DD before it gets any more stressful. Make sure she knows how much you love them and her. YOur only day off to accopmplish business or other things you have to get done is Mon. A couple hours once in a while okay. Don't let you house become a dump station for them. Once you start it will be way harder to stop it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• don't feel guilty, my mom would say no too. We have agreed. She keeps the kids one night a month.
    ph0xdlady

Answer by ph0xdlady at 3:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Grandma can be asked. Grandma should never be expected.
    Brenna

Answer by Brenna at 9:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• No she is not! If you don't feel like babysitting you have the right to say NO!! I would never EXPECT my mother or my mother in law to babysit for me ever. I would ask once in a while but if it was going to be something that would happen all the time, i would deffinately hire a babysitter or atleast pay my mother or mother in law if they wanted to do that. And i would never be hurt or upset if they said no. It is totally there decision. 100%
    angelsmommy2008

Answer by angelsmommy2008 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Wow. Aren't you lucky to have the chance to spend time with your grandchild and yet, you complain. Some of us aren't so blessed and would give anything to be able to see our grandchildren. Be thankful for every moment you get. Some of us had it, only to have it ripped away from us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2008