do your children ever surprise the heck out of you with things you think they will or won't eat?

lol for example tonight i served smoked sausage with red beans & rice. i was expecting yucky faces and maybe a bite or two. WELL, my 4 year old cleaned her plate (which is a rarity for her), my 2 year old asked for seconds and the one who usually eats anything (my 1 year old) was the picky one tonight and only ate the beans. Which is fine by me, she's anemic and needs the iron anyway. but i was like wow! not expecting this at all! of course, they have a misconception that the sausage is hot dogs.. and i dont plan on correcting them anytime soon if it gets them to eat it LOL.

and then the other night, i made shepherds pie. omg, it was so delicious. first time ive ever made it too. i was expecting full bellies that night, my kids love mashed potatoes and my oldest loves meat. that night they picked at everything and hardly touched it!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• my daughter LOVES broccoli...and I never really gave it to her to begin with...she just wanted a taste and has been in love with it ever since. She'll eat it raw or cooked, plain, or with butter or cheese on it. She just loves it!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 6:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I nearly fell over when my picky eater announced he liked sushi! Granted he was older, but it was a remarkable revelation!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• YES! My 3yr old son LOVES sushi! He wont eat meat, but he loves raw fish. He will also eat fruits and veggies like there is no tomorrow. I'm not a sushi eater, so this surprised me. He cleared 2 entree's of sushi last month.
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Yes all the time. My kids love shrimp,crab,oysters even sushi....i never thought they would eat things like that. I think it's awesome!

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 7:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• We went to Stir Crazy one day and she was eating all the spinach and squash out of my stir fry, I was very surprised!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My 3 year old daughter loves brussel sprouts! I didn't see that one coming.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• They don't surprise me but they surprise others. My 3 and 6 year old both LOVE shushi. My 6 year old actually prefers sushimi. My 3 year old gets super excited about salad! They both love to eat raw tomatoes. They eat grape tomatoes like, well, grapes! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My weird one lately is ketchup, my son normally loves it but would not eat it today.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 7:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• my 2 year old loves sushi, broccali and edamame, idk, I just go with it lol
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• my son use to love eating green peppers and mushrooms but not now i don't know what happened now he's so picky and i don't know why.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 10:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2011