My fiancée is stationed overseas at the moment, and we arent sure for how long. is there any way we can sign papers now, and get married? we dont want to have to wait until he comes home. rather just get it over with now so we can be together.

Brooke1007

Asked by Brooke1007 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• It depends on where he is stationed at.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I think you can have a proxy stand in for him if you get married in certain states. You'd have to look it up though to get the details.
    LisaR25

Answer by LisaR25 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Ask him to see about getting a proxy for it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Well i know we could do a proxy, but we dont live in one of the states that offer that. he is stationed in Germany right now.
    Brooke1007

Comment by Brooke1007 (original poster) at 7:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If he is in Germany right now, good luck. Getting married in Germany is hard. There is so much paperwork that goes along with it. However, what a few people I know did was to go to Holland. It is much easier to get married there. Could you travel to where he is at and take a weekend trip to Holland and get married there?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Not really. We were trying to figure out a way to do it being apart. He's being stationed somewhere else in July and we'd like to be able to go together right away. And since we dont live in the state that allows proxy, wasnt sure if there's something else the military can do/offer for people in this situation.
    Brooke1007

Comment by Brooke1007 (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• He can't come here for a weekend or something. That sucks, I didn't know some states didn't do proxies. Good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Could you travel to Colorado? If so, then you should check this website out.

http://www.marriagebyproxy.com/colorado.html

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• See i was wondering about that. i have family in CO. But i dont live anywhere near there. Can i travel to a state that offers proxies and get married there? Wasnt sure if i had to actually live in the state.
    Brooke1007

Comment by Brooke1007 (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• There are 4 states (Colorado, Texas, Montana, and California (limited proxy), that allow proxy marriages. In Colorado you nor your fiancee have to be a resident. In California, y'all would not be eligible because he has to be in a war zone, In Montana, neither one of you have to be present. Check this website out for more info- http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/mca/40/1/40-1-301.htm. I am still looking into Texas. I will post what I find.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2011