My fathers passing still hurts after 3 years. Is it bad I don't think of it 24/7?

My dad has been gone 3 years this Feb 12th. It's sad, but I don't wanna be sad. Of course its mainly when it gets closer. But I don't want to feel bad for not being upset over it more then I am. I think about him but I dont think Im mourning anymore. of course it different when I visit home and see the tomb stone. I can't believe its been 3 years already. Makes Valentine's Day harder to enjoy, but I do my best.

Not exactly sure why I brought it up.. I guess I just thought about it and needed to say something. thanks for reading if you didnt get bored. lol

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 6:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• My dad has been gone for 26 years and it still hurts, only now i think of him it brings a smile instead of a tear.

Answer by older at 7:07 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• my dad has been gone for almost 18 yrs (feb 3 ) and it still hurts and I miss him a ton but the feeling changes...now I find myself hoping that he can see all the stuff going on, my kids and such... the feeling change but you always miss them
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 7:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I really know how you feel my father passed away ten years ago in july I was only 14 when it happend. it does get a little bit easier as time goes but that is what he would want, the last thing you father would want is for you to go around sad and hurt all the time. It really bothers me when holidays or big events in my life come around. But just thinking about him is what he would want you to do.
    JBFamily

Answer by JBFamily at 7:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• my stepdad has been gone for 9 years, and while it still hurts, i think everyone has their own mourning period...you've just gotten over yours. it hurts when i think about him missing things in my life, and missing out on my dd's life (2 1/2), but at the same time i understand what happened was for the best..as in, he's not hurting or having to deal with heart problems or all the meds he had to be on. it will always be different when visiting home and his tomb stone, but it's understandable.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 7:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My Grandpa passed away 2 years ago and it still hurts. I always think of him when we do things that he always did with us, like when we go to Maine and see the light houses - that was his thing, but we love it too! I try to keep positive through out the year. I don't think of him 24/7 ...if I did, it would occupy my life too much, but I do think of him a lot.
    qtmomof2

Answer by qtmomof2 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2011