Did you hear about the AZ politicians that are resigning over Tea Party threats?

Updated: The sole black Republican Party district chairman in Arizona resigned from his post in the wake of Saturday's shooting, citing threats from the Tea Party faction and concerns for his family's safety, The Arizona Republic first reported.

Republican District 20 Chairman Anthony Miller was not the only party official to resign following the shooting that killed six and wounded 14 others, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) and a federal judge. But Miller had been an especially dedicated campaigner for the GOP, and said he only stepped down in the face of "constant verbal attacks" and other forms of intimidation.

"I wasn't going to resign but decided to quit after what happened Saturday," he said. "I love the Republican Party but I don't want to take a bullet for anyone."

Miller, 43, told HuffPost he decided to resign after his wife expressed concern for their safety. Miller had been the target of heavy criticism from Arizona Tea Partyers, in part because he worked on Sen. John McCain's campaign last fall. (The Tea Partyers favored McCain's opponent, J.D. Hayworth.)

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• But the attacks also took on a racial hue. One critic referred to him derogatorily as "McCain's boy," Miller said. Other language was even less ambiguous. At an event in Lake Havasu City, Ariz., Miller said someone called out, "There's Anthony, get a rope."

Yet Miller balks at crying racism.

"To say that anyone has been racially motivated, I can't really draw a conclusion," he said. "But a lot of people told me 'You're not a conservative, you're a RINO.' In my mind, that's just as bad as being called a n-----, honestly. When you call someone a n-----, it's saying they're less than, and RINO is the same thing."

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• "We don't have to agree but we have to respect each other," said Miller of his fellow Republicans. "I just saw that respect chipping away, and when you lose that respect, that's where violence occurs."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/12/anthony-miller-resigns-giffords-threats_n_808116.html

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• What a coward. Sounds like he got in over his head with the job and found a way to blame someone else for him leaving. If the man had more than two brain cells he would realize the shooting had nothing to do with politics it was the act of a crazy person. If he is really concerned he might want to never go to a mall, store, restuarant, post office, high rise building, fly, take a boat or do anything. Time for him to build a bunker and hide out like the coward he is.
    Anonymous

• That's too bad. I always thought that the term "RINO" was a slur,a bash,from Republicans and it looks like they are being a little unfair toward him. WHy do they have to be so harsh?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• There are too many blacks in the Tea Party. Nobody cares what color you are. Hell, the RNC has a black chairman. COLOR doesn't matter. I don't believe this story. I will have to see it from a more reputable outlet than the huffy post.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I heard about this earlier today. Tragic but at the same time no public service job is worth my life. I hope he has a career back up plan.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 7:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Let's see... he decides to spill his guts to the Huffington post? That makes my eyebrow's raise. Sounds like a Republican in Name Only to me.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I hadn't heard that, and like so many other things that are currently happening in the wake of this tragedy, I feel that it's much the same of a knee jerk reaction. He has to make the decision that is right for him, I just feel bad for his constituency that worked hard on his behalf to get him elected. I am sure they are feeling pretty disappointed.  JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Being called a RINO is no worse then the democratic party calling their people DINO's. If he thinks thats a bash hes in the wrong business. All it means is Republican in name only and Democrat in name only. Its been around long before the tea party and probably will be after. It sounds more like to me hes a quitter and a cry baby.
    Anonymous

You name call all the time on here why not enlighten us as to the why?
    Anonymous