Gifted Children and Skipping a grade

My son is 7 years old and in 2nd grade. He has been classified as a gifted child this year (by the school) and will test for the Very Gifted program later this month. We have known he was gifted ever since he started kindergarden (actually before), but they didn't actually test him for it until this year. He says that he is bored in class and school is too easy. The teacher has advanced him to a sort-of teachers aide (after he finishes his schoolwork). He has been helping tutor the other kids in his class and is in advanced math (4th and 5th grade math- and still with 100%'s).
The question I have is how many of your children have been classified as gifted? Have these children jumped a grade? Would you let your child skip a grade (if the school approved)?
I want to keep my son interested (he REALLY wants to jump a grade). But I do not want to have him pushed to hard or fast, so that he would loose interest or get frustrated.

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My best friend and my husband both skipped a grade in elementary school and both of them highly, highly, highly discourage it. Our child is also gifted and DH and I agree that we will never allow them to put him ahead a grade.

The child really misses out on some social and emotional developmental stages that should not be discounted. Skipping grades is for parents from my experiences, it is definitely NOT in the best interest of the child. Parents who advance their children a year in school are doing it for their egos, to be perfectly honest about it.

If anything, look at it this way, better to be the big fish in a small pond. And I would recommend that you can find the extra time he has to enroll him in more extracurricular activities, join clubs, learn an instrument, etc....
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Our DS,11, is in 5th grade and has been classified as gifted. He's already reading at a 12th grade level. I would not let him skip a grade however, because although he is very smart, I believe that he is at his proper emotional level in school. I think if I pushed him forward he would not be ready to deal with all of the peer pressure that comes with skipping a grade. We knew that our son was intelligent early on and chose a school that will challenge him with in his proper grade level. HE is given extra things to do that expand uon whatever lesson they are learning. We also supplement him at home and make sure to keep him active not only in academics.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 7:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Another thing is how he will fair socially with kids that are older than him, bigger than him, and have something to pick on him for. I don't want to tell you to stunt his education but I'd seriously consider a gifted program vs. skipping a grade. It's ultimately your choice but there is a lot to consider. GOOD LUCK! :-)
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 7:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I agree that a gifted program would be my choice over skipping a grade. Especially when he gets to jr high. Good luck no matter what you decide.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My son is in first grade and is on the list to be tested for gifted next year :) No we would not allow him to skip a grade if it came down to it. Yes, I know all about the board stuff...but that is life, learning to deal with good and bad...fun and boring...its a learning experience like all the rest.

There is more to school than just how smart they are...there is also the factor or maturity and also what happens when things do become harder.....even though I do know your son and mine too will likely not find anything too difficult...there are still things in teh future that may slow them down a bit...know what I mean :)

I would just look into ways to challenge him at home.....sign him up for a second language course or some other thing that may interest him...
    Anonymous

• I think lots of kids are gifted and should be pushed beyond regular class lessons to keep them interested. I would put him in the gifted program and not skip any grades.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• when i was in the gifted program in elementary school we usually were pulled to do different work and only did the regular class stuff when it was pe, music, arts, etc. so being bored with the work wasn't really a problem. i don't see what the point of having them tested for gifted programs is if they don't pull them to do different work. anyway, i went to college with someone who skipped a grade. he said it was terrible because he was younger, smaller, etc. and he got picked on alot. i would make sure that the school is providing him with appropriate work and then keep him in his 'normal' grade for the social aspect of school.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I did this as a small child. It's better to do it at a young age than to wait later down the line. I think it would effect the child more the older they got. But i'd say do it! If the child gets order in the class he is in now, that could lead to other things like getting in trouble or being picked on.
    Brooke1007

Answer by Brooke1007 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I skipped one grade and was fine socially, one of my best friends skipped several grades and entered college at age 15 and struggled emotionally. Even now as we approach 40 she says she still struggles withm peer friendships. In addition to skipping grades we were also part of a gifted program. Having been there done that one grade isn't a big deal however he may still not be challenged
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 8:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2011