has any one tried my baby can read???

i'm thinking about doing it for my son...

Lynnsae

Asked by Lynnsae at 7:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Lynnsae, you are a wise woman! Speech therapy is great, especially if you can do it before they have to start school. There was a woman who came from Europe and started Montessori teaching. She proved that you could start teaching a child another language at two! Imagine! Plus, at that age, their mind is like a vacuum! They are hungry for knowledge. That's why they get into everything. They want to learn, by touching, seeing, and showing how it works. Check into some books at the library. But do go to the Speech Therapist. My best friend did, and her son did amazingly wonderful in school because he had the confidence needed and the tools taught to him! Hope this helps.

teacher

WalknWithGod

Answer by WalknWithGod at 10:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It is memorizing and nothing more. Waste of money. The best thing you can do to help your child read is to read to them often.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It helps them memorize the things but I dont think it's worth it for how much they can run to be honest. They learn it just as well from you reading to them and showing them items. It will just show clapping on the screen and then show the word "clap" and say Susan is clapping. My daughter enjoyed them but if I had paid for them I would've been dissapointed.
    KaileezMom

Answer by KaileezMom at 7:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Babies can learn to read, but you don't have to buy any special kit to teach them.

Read to them often. Let them see the pages and point out each word as you read it. Have the alphabet on display in their play area, and make reviewing it a fun playtime activity. As you go through the day, point out and spell the names of objects on their labels, in a fun way. Provide lots of positive suggestion and reinforcement, "Books are so much fun!" Ask simple questions like, "Can you touch the letter B on this page?" And hug and praise them when they are right, and hug and praise them for trying when they are not.

We did this with both our kids from infancy. Both were reading before they could speak. Nothing special to buy. They loved their little books when they were tots, and love to read now as teens. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 9:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I'm with the other moms, read to them often and a variety. And don't just stick to the words on the page, make up your own version of events or observations. I actually have the Your Baby Can Read set and I love it! I used to put it on every day but I eventually forgot to put it on most days and it dwindled into never putting it on. (cont. below)

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 10:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Yes, it does teach them to memorize. But the fact of the matter is, children (when they first begin to read) learn to memorize first, then they learn phonics after. Let's face it, phonics in the English language isn't exactly easy as pie. Lots of letters and combinations of letters make different sounds, and then you have the silent letters. We all know the "g" in gnat is not pronounced. And we know this by memorization of how to say the word - if we used phonics we would pronounce the "g". I say it's all in good fun. It's not a miracle worker, you have to sit with your kids while they watch it to help guide them. And reading to them is very important. You can't just sit them in front of the t.v. for one hour a day to watch this video and expect them to read.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 10:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• thanks now i know not to get them... i'll keep to reading to him
    Lynnsae

Comment by Lynnsae (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• that's what i do with my son now i just though it would help him verbalize it better... but mybe speech therapy is what he may need.
    Lynnsae

Comment by Lynnsae (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Nope
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 10:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2011