Food Stamps?

My husband, boys and I are sinking and we are not sure how we are going to pay our house payment, Property taxes and buy groceries this month, our savings has dwindled. We qualify for WIC but do not for food stamps, we would qualify if we were seperated. I hate being punished for being married and trying to live the American Dream. My question is has anyone ever lied about your status to get food stamps?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Money & Work

• We are in the same boat. We qualify for WIC, not for food stamps. In the back of my mind I think about doing it, but don't think it's worth it.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 4:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Don't do it! You will pay big time...They will find out. My sisters sister in law did that...She is on probation and has to pay it all back..It's not worth it
    Anonymous

• It's a bad idea there are tons of people who I'm sure have done it but I wouldn't want to risk it because the cosequence could be devastating. That makes no sense though, I hate how the sysytem works everyone should be able to get food stamps when they are in need weather they are married, single, seperated.
    Lizzie32390

Answer by Lizzie32390 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Sucks..we have been in the same boat..Seems like the people that don't seem to really need the help are the ones that only get it. But don't commit fraud that's what it would be.. So sorry for your situation

Anonymous

• Bad idea......it's a crime :(. Why not check out some local food pantries or angelfoodministries.com? Sorry you are having such problems.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 4:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• dont do it god will never put on more then what u can bare
    elle2hot4u

Answer by elle2hot4u at 4:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

•  

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

I'm not sure if you've heard of this but they do an affordable "box" of food - $30 feeds a family of four dinner for a week or more.  You can buy as many boxes as you want.  Income doesn't matter.  They also have "add-on" boxes for getting more meat, veggies, etc.   I've used them when we had our house fire.  It's an excellent help for a great community service.

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 5:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Please please please don't lie about your status EVER. They will find out. In NC, the punishment can be up to $250,000 and jailtime. I'm really sorry that you don't qualify, that sucks and it's not fair :(
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• don't lie about being married. they will find out. just say you're separated and he's living with his mother (or another family member who is not receiving assistance of any kind) i do it all the time. just don't tell anyone.
    Anonymous

• Please don't do what anon529 is suggesting. Check into local food pantry ministries that give groceries to those in need. Also, are u sure u don't qualify for foodstamps? If ur income is low enough u can get foodstamps.
    Anonymous