is my son old enough for kitten

My son is almost 2 and he loves cats. Everytime he goes to my mom he plays with her cat by petting him and following him around. He imagines he is a cat and meows at us all day long. Do you think he is ready?? If so whats the best kind of cat

his88angel

Asked by his88angel at 8:14 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• that depends, are you ready for a cat? you're the one who has to take care of the litter box, make sure he can't get to it but the cat can. in truth, i would just wait until he was about five, that way he can help take care of kitty too.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• preferable a rescued cat. But be sure to supervise all the time he is alone with the cat!cat

chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 8:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't think he is ready for a cat, I have always had cats in my life even when I was a baby but they weren't always mine ( wasmom's or dad's cat)! A kitten is very playful and will probably scratch hiom and they don't always like to be bothered alot! They more to them self untilthey are ready to come to you! I would just wait until he got older! A kitten needs alot of attention and not to mention all the shots and getting fixed to do! I think he is way too little!!!!! But it is all up to you! Good LUck!
    annamarie1147

Answer by annamarie1147 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• well.......since he gets along good with your mom's cat nice then i say he's ready for a cat to become part of your family. i wouldn't reccomend a kitten though....i would go to the shelter and find a nice (adult) cat that is good with children. the adult cats are much better for kids because they're calmer and you know what their temperment is if you get them from a shelter. gl!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• In my opinion 2 years old is definitely not ready for a kitten. You will be the one taking care of it, but kittens scratch, chase, bite, hold on with their nails, etc. When my oldest was 2 she hugged by MILs kitten way too hard and hurt it pretty bad. She had the best of intentions but was too little to understand. I wasn't there but my MIL still reminds me of it 6 years later. If you really want a cat, maybe look to adopt an adult. Many are already used to children and are passed the clawing stage.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 8:38 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• When you go to resue centers for animals, they have rooms where you can spend as much time as you need to see if the cat is right for both of you. After all, you will be the main provider. If he knows how to hold it, you could teach him what he needs to do to care for the cat as far as water & food. Put a little container with 1/2 cup of water somewhere for him to get to put in the cat dish. Like we always gave the children they're own shelf or drawer. They knew their stuff was there. You could also put a small plastic container with a little food in it for him to feed the cat. Make a chart. Every day he takes care of the cat, he get a star. Take him to Wal-Mart to pick out some toys for cats. They have some 99 cent ones. Also you can buy a baby blanket & pillow for the cat at the Thrift Store as well as finding bowls for the cat to eat from. The more involved he is, the better he cares 4 the cat! Have fun. Hope this helps!
    WalknWithGod

Answer by WalknWithGod at 11:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I think your son may be old enough for an adult cat, but not just a kitten. We have 2 cats, but they are older, and they didn't really mess with my DD. My best friend has 2 older cats, and just recently got a kitten for her 9 month old. And the kitten is doing really well, but inly because she has 2 playmates besides the baby. If you get a kitten, they are very playful and have problems with retracting their claws, so there is a greater risk of scratches, and they don't know how to play nice yet.
    If you had other cats, a kitten would be fine. But a kitten by itself is asking for trouble. An adult cat will walk away if the baby starts to frustrate them, a kitten will most likely pounce.
    Get a rescue adult cat first, and then if in 2 years he has done well with it, get him a kitten.
    Good luck. I love my cats!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 6:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2011