My Daughter is 3 months, how old should I wait til I feed her oatmeal cereal?

I dont think the milk is enough for her, she smacks her lips and ask for more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would wait until at least 6 months.
    Anonymous

• My daughter just started eating cereal/babyfood and she is almost 6 months. From a medical perspective, I think you should wait because their little tummies aren't mature enough to digest that much yet. However, I feel your pain, my daughters did the samething. Speak with your pediatrcian, he may give you the ok.
    SugarAndSpiceX3

Answer by SugarAndSpiceX3 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• First of all, be prepared for the rude comments, lol. IMO, 4-6 months. My mom gave my son some for the first time when he was 3 months old. Not that it had ay affects on him or anything, but I wasn't ready to give him cereal yet. He started getting cereal, fruits and veggies right before he turned 6 months old.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 4:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I would wait until you talk to the doctor. I have read about rare but serious cases of allergy in babies from rice and oatmeal cereal, so your doctor needs to know when you are feeding her that to watch for the signs.
    katythemm

Answer by katythemm at 4:51 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• most people recommend waiting until six months; but i figured if my child needs to be eating cereal by six months she should have some practice eating from a spoon after she turns 5 months. she's almost 6 months now, and i've only tried teaching her at least once a day.. not any specific amount, just enough for her to get the idea. or until she's mad at me for leaving her in the chair. you need to get your child used to swallowing. you still have time, so no rush.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 5:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I started on my son at 3 months old. If your child needs to be fed feed him! If milk isnt enough and YOU want to give him som cereal than do it! Your the only one that can make that descision. My doctor told me 3 different things 3 different times when I asked her. I finnally just did what I felt was best for my child. I do know that you should be starting with rice cereal before oatmeal. Good luck!
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 5:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• The "rule" is 6 months because of the rate of average digestive tract development. However, while I recognize every baby is different and I fed earlier than 6 months, I would hold off as long as you can. It would be better for there system if you could wait just a little longer. My son was 5 months and my daughter was just shy of 5 months. Milk (breast) just wasn't doing it anymore. If your baby is breastfed, they do get hungrier sooner. If that is the case, ask a lactation consultant how you can boost your supply. My daughter's first food was a pulverized avacado! She LOVED it and it's a great food to start a baby with. My son's was cereal.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 5:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• 4-6 months is recommended. check with yoru doc. At 4 months, there's a good chance they can't actually eat it yet. They don't know how. I tried with my daughter and she didn't eat any. Waited 2 weeks and she got some but spit half back out. A week later she did much better. She really enjoyed trying. She watched the other kids at day care eating, so knew what it was and was soooo excited to try. It was cute.
    Anonymous

• I'm not going to tell you when you should start feeding her but I just wanted to let you know that if you want to let her start on solids, rice cereal is the most tolerable for babies that young. You can do the oatmeal or mixed after she seems fine with the rice for a while.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 5:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I consulted my pediatrician bc my son was the same and acted like he wanted substance smaked his lips all the time. My pediatrician said that if i wanted to "practice" feeding it would be okay bc he's a very stable supported sitter and holds his head up so well. Just to only give him a table spoon of rice cereal mixed with an ounce of formula/breastmilk. My son is only 3 months old btw.Just look for the signs that show you she's ready.
    * Sits with support and has good head control
    * Has doubled her birth weight or weighs at least 13 pounds
    * Acts hungry after a bottle/bf
    * Has lost the tongue thrust reflex and is able to swallow food
    Also just talk to you pediatrician. Hope that helps.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 5:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2008