If something should happen to you, do you have a living will in place 4 ur family?

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 8:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• no, and truthfully they don't really mean alot anyway
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I do.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't. My husband does so I do not have to make any difficult decisions if something happens. But he's in the military so it's required.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 8:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• yes,we have one
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• A living will is not necessary as my husband knows what to do if I am near death. We have a Last Will and Testament outlining who gets what/who. No one really knows what it says except for my mom because she gets everything.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I do. I don't want anyone having to deal with decisions on our kids if something should happen to both of us. We got approval from all parties before making it out, so if it does happen, everything will be taken care of!!
    tansy78

Answer by tansy78 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• A living will is for heath care wishes if the person can no longer speak for themselves.. It states your wishes about how you want to continue living or not if you become ill or have an accident. It should state your wishes on artificial life support, tube feeding, etc.

A living trust or last will in testament divides your personal belongs, money, property, children etc in the even of your death..

I stress everyone should have a living will, it is very hard for families to make a person a DNR or take off life support etc.. In that time, it is also hard to say do nothing.. With a living will, your wishes will be outlined and followed. No burden on anyone to make that decision.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• We have a Last Will & Testament, a Living Will, and ALL of our beneficiary documents are up to date for all of our accounts and our life insurance as well.

If you have designated a beneficiary for your accounts (investment or bank accounts and insurance too) those designations will supersede your Will. Also, the funds will pass to your beneficiary without estate taxes. Everyone should have current beneficiary information on record with the institution controlling the account, and with whomever you designate to oversee your affairs in the event that something happens to both you and your DH/SO. This will not only save time and prevent haggling over your affairs, but will also save your loved ones money. If you DON'T designate a beneficiary, chances are Uncle Sam will receive the lion's share of your estate.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 9:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Thank you midnight mom! I always get those two  mixed up! With the death of my sister and how her children treated her, has me out of sorts. I did find out if the person's name is on the account Uncle Sam can't touch it! Like I said before, you don't have to tell the person now, you can make some sort of comment in your will as to what you want them to do with the money. Otherwise, Uncle Sam will take forty percent! Not nice of them to do it, but what can we do about it? I think its crazy that we pay taxes from the money we receive from working. Then we take that same money and buy something and have to pay taxes on that same money again. Then when the end of the year comes. If we made over a certain amount, we pay again on our Taxes! Too crazy for me! Glad I'm retired and don't have to get upset about it anymore!!!

WalknWithGod

Comment by WalknWithGod (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I am sorry for your loss.. Hugs to you!!!

They will get what is comin to them one way or another...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2011