Your baby can read

Has anyone used or know someone who has used the Your baby can read,early development system. I saw it advertised on TV the other day and it sounds really nice but it is a $200 system so I wanna know if it really works before spending the money on it. Thanks

butterfly7909

Asked by butterfly7909 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• MY MIL bought this for y kids for Christmas and so far they will barley watch 5 minutes of it. They are 3 and 18 months. I personally think its a waste of money. I've heard nothing but bad things about it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i doubt it
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 8:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I am sure it will be all over the garage sales this coming summer.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• No it does not work. It does not teach them to read at all. It teaches them that when they see CAT, it says cat. This is not reading, this is just memorization. There is more to reading that just memorizing that CAT is cat. In fact, he can hurt their development to read later on.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• We had a friend who bought it and it was a waste of money.
    JohnnyCakes

Answer by JohnnyCakes at 9:11 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I never used it although I think that if you want to teach your kids to read the best way is to read to them yourself. I also think that kids don't need to be reading at this age they need to be kids and to have fun. My kids are 13, 11 and 9 and they are all excellent readers and do very well in school. I don't think it is worht the money and you as a parent can do a better job.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• We call it "Your Baby can Memorize". lol
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 9:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Babies can learn to read, but you don't have to buy any special kit to teach them.

Read to them often. Let them see the pages and point out each word as you read it. Have the alphabet on display in their play area, and make reviewing it a fun playtime activity. As you go through the day, point out and spell the names of objects on their labels, in a fun way. Provide lots of positive suggestion and reinforcement, "Books are so much fun!" Ask simple questions like, "Can you touch the letter B on this page?" And hug and praise them when they are right, and hug and praise them for trying when they are not.

We did this with both our kids from infancy. Both were reading before they could speak. Nothing special to buy. They loved their little books when they were tots, and love to read now as teens. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 9:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I looked into it, I checked out the customer reviews on amazon and from there I came to the conclusion that it is a waste of money. your better off buying leap frog, letter factory, lets go to school, math to the moon. There leap frog dvd's my son loves whatching them and there not expensive compared to "my baby can read" :)
    Hope99

Answer by Hope99 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• As a reading specialist, I was upset when I first saw this commercial. Here's a link to what child development experts say about it.  Here's another link to check out.  By teaching children to memorize words before teaching them that each letter has a sound and that words are made up of letters, you are doing more harm than good.  I feel bad for all the teachers that are going to have to undo the damage caused by this scam.

MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 12, 2011