was i being too sensitive?

My DH has a strong personality. I love him to death and he can be funny and sarcastic at the same time. But he has this habit of always saying things in a way that offends me. For example last night he said, "Your giving the kids a bath, again? Didn't you just bathe them last night", in a loud voice. I was quite offended and told him so. He said I was being to sensitive. I said "No, I feel critisized because you always question me in what I do." He said I was expecting him to be someone he's not. We argued about it an neither really relented. So was I being too sensitive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• My husband does the same thing. He questions me constantly. What are you doing? Where are you going? why are you doing that? When i get mad he says, i was just joking! I've learned to not take him so seriously. Its hard at first but if you do it for a while you'll get use to it. I know! :)
    JennyJenny529

Answer by JennyJenny529 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i would take it that he was making a joke. i would have said 'don't worry....i'm just going to hose them off in the backyard tomorrow!' i think that you were being too sensitive, but i think it was more about your overall relationship than just that one comment.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• men communicate very differently than women
    if you can call what they do communicate-lol
    was he mean when you spoke to him afterwards?
    sometimes men say things that are insensitive to us women
    but afterwards, if you try to lower your thinking to their lower level of thought, you can tell that they didnot mean harm,
    just being ignorant men
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:08 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't see how you were. I can see why you were feeling criticized.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would have responded "well doesn't your ass get dirty in one day?". I wouldn't feel criticized but if it's an ongoing thing, I could understand why you would feel that way.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would of just told him why I was doing it and left it at that. I do think you are being too sensitive. DH always talks to me like that but he doesn't mean it the way I interpret it. I just let it go and make sure that I communicate enough for the both of us.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Sometimes my husband makes comments like that and has no clue why I got irritated. I tell him and he just doesn't see the rudeness in it, neither do his male friends. But my women friends do get it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• No I would tell him how you feel and let him know its the only way its going to stop sometimes its better to address it right away.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If it was a once in a while kind of thing ... you were being a tad bit over-sensitive on that, BUT if he is always like that, I can see where it would start to get next to you. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I think if this is the way your husband is, you will need to develop thick skin. My husband can be very abrasive, loud, stubborn, thick headed, and he oftentimes has said things that would end me up in tears. After awhile I just shrug it off and go about my business. That's exactly what I would have done - you're giving the kids a bath again tonight? Yes siree, Bob. And continued about my business. Maybe it's his way of saying, don't you want to spend time with me?????
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2011