Why are people always concerned about what other people are doing to raise their children?

Complete strangers are judging one another for their choices in breastfeeding, formula-feeding, circumcision, discipline styles, etc. Why are they so worried about what other mothers are doing with their children?

mommy4life15

Asked by mommy4life15 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think that many mothers think they "got it right" and want to do everything they can to ensure that other mothers "get it right." However, I think it can be very counter productive to try and force your beliefs on another person no matter if it's about parenting, religion, or politics. I do try to educate mothers if they ask for advice on a subject that I'm very knowledgeable about. But I'm very quick to make sure they know that every mother is different, every child is different, and everything that is right for one family isn't right for another. It's all a matter of choice. I just like to be sure that the choices some moms make are educated, but not in a preachy way :)
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 12:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I agree!
    Its no ones buisness. Everyone should mind there own buisness and worry about there own children. Those who judge thinks they are better parents, they need to wake up. They have nothing better to do.

I am a Proud Formula Feeding, Time-Out on the Chair and Co-Sleeping Mommy! :)
    Anonymous

• Because they have nothing BETTER to do, lol. For some people, raising children is a lifelong competition. No one wants to fail.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• It has nothing to do about "No one wants to fail" its about those parents who think they are better then everyone else and push there parenting on others. They need to back off and focus on there own family and butt out of others. Its that simple. And raising children is not a competition, its sad that others feel this way.
    Anonymous

• To annonymous above: I never said that parenting WAS a competition, only that some people feel this way. I do not feel like it is or should be.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Because they need to think they are better at it and/or they have a judgemental streak in them.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 12:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Because they are losers. LOL Self righteous, know it all, holier than thou, judgemental LOSERS.. with a lot of time on their hands.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Because every mom thinks her way is the right way and wishes more moms parented like her. I think everyone can have a opinion just dont be pushy about it. And moms have to understand just because it works for her family doesnt mean it will also work for someone elses.
    summerbudbud

Answer by summerbudbud at 1:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• In all honesty I use to feel the same way as a younger parent but as I grew older and older and I realized that there many different types of people and many want to make sure that children are secure, safe , confident and able to cope with todays world and in so many ways they want to see the children become good people with great character.
    sfulton23

Answer by sfulton23 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2008