Preterm or Incompetent Cervix?

I'm 23 weeks and had a closed cervix at my last appointment [2 days ago]. I've always worried in the back of my mind about having an incompetent cervix or possible preterm labor, does anyone have an information on cervical incompetence? when is it usually ruled out, with a closed cervix this far should I still be worrying?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would try not to worry about it at all, since there is really nothing YOU can do. Easier said than done though, right? (I worried about all of the crazy things, too). It usually shows up early in the second, but can show up early in the third as well.

The fact that it was still nicely closed at your last appointment is a good sign, you'll probably get through just fine! Mine was actually thinner than they wanted it to be prior to 20 weeks, but it got thicker!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• No your cervix should still be closed for at least 12 more wks if not more. Not i do have a incompetent cervix. Mine doesnt open so i have to have c-secs. Why do you think it should be open?
    Anonymous

• Sorry i read it too fast the first time. here is something you can read on it.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/incompetentcervix.html
    Anonymous

• @ katie, they told me mine was 3.7cm long at my 19 week appointment. [i wrote the post just so u know]
    Anonymous