My 2 y old is terrified of doctors!

I need help, how can i get my daughter to get over her fear of doctors visits. Today i had to go to the doctors office
to pick up some paper work, my daughter got so scared. As we walked out of the car she ask "this is not Elay school?", i told her "No, abby this is the doctors office" she immediately turned around and wanted to be carried. When we were standing in the elevator the little "pling" sound scared her so much she jumped and grabbed me so hard. I am not looking forward to her 3 y check up, but how can i help her?

Actress-mom81

Asked by Actress-mom81 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why is she scared? You need to figure that out first. My DD was scared of hers and I realized it was because the doctor never talked to her and only saw her as another exam.

I changed doctors and the new one, really took time to let her get comfortable. Let her hold the instruments, explained them and what they do, let her use them on me and the doctor. The first visit was almost 45 minutes long just to get to know one another.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• maybe ask her what specifically she doesn't like about the dr. our dr. is really nice and draws pictures on their hands or gives them stickers. they think that he's their friend. the didn't like the stethoscope so i just got one for home and we listen to each other's hearts, breathing, play dr. i would find out what the big deal is and then work from there! if she just doesn't like the dr. you might want to switch drs. if it is more of a personality conflict.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I tryed to ask her but she hasn't seen her doctor since last year april. She is also scared of the dentist, and they are so extremely nice. Her old doctor was really nice and loved my kids, really warm, but he retired :(
    Actress-mom81

Comment by Actress-mom81 (original poster) at 9:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Maybe you can do some role play with her. Mama and Dada doctor with baby patient. My son never had an issue because my husband is a doctor so he sees him in his white coat and scrubs and stethoscope. If she can relate a doctor to someone she loves and trusts it may not be as scary.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 9:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I will try that, thanks!
    Actress-mom81

Comment by Actress-mom81 (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2011