What do you do to keep your dogs out of a window or furniture while you are gone?

My pets have furniture they can get on and windows they can see out of. But it never fails... when we are gone and we don't put anything in their way of getting into this one window, they get up there. It is full of plants! The one window in the house that my houseplants grow good in.

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Pets

• Kenneling your dogs while you are away is the best way to solve this problem. It keeps them from getting to things they aren't allowed to get at. It may take a bit of time to train them to use a kennel if they aren't used to it, but it really is the safest thing for them - and your sanity!
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 10:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Put the dog in a kennel while you are away.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:07 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Our dog is kennel trained, and honestly it was the best thing ever. It solved so many behavior issues and gave her a comfort zone, she's a much happier dog and we are much happier pet owners now. And she is not allowed on any furniture and doesn't even try to get up, I don't think she knows it's an option because she was never allowed on the furniture even as a puppy.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• our furniture is so old it does not matter and the windows are up to high.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I just put my dog in kennel. He knows when I am about to leave and goes right to it.
    soon2bmmy

Answer by soon2bmmy at 9:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I kennel all my dogs, or I throw them outside. My house would be ruined if they were loose.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• mine are crated.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:17 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I don't have that problem, I think she goes and sleeps on our bed or the end of the sofa. At least so far !! Any chnages and it's back in the crate she goes.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• well i don't have any experience with dogs, but would putting a screen (like a decorative room divider screen) in front of the window help? or would they just knock it down? i guess you could put them in a kennel....i heard dogs like that sort of thing
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• A kennel. My dog is naughty. For your one window maybe try some of that frosty window cling stuff so that if they do get up there they can't see out? They would eventually give up, and it would still let some light in.
    JohnnyCakes

Answer by JohnnyCakes at 9:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011