wow! bed time was a challenge tonight

we had to put our dog down last night and our 4 yr old realized that he is not comming home when we walked out of the vet with no dog last night! SOB! she was so sad... the thing that calmed her was that I told her we could mail pictures that she made to jack in heaven after a lot of talk about what it must be like in heaven she seemed satisfied that that is what she would do. In the morning she drew a pic with all of us and him and we put it in an envelope and addressed it "TO JACK IN HEAVEN...LOVE ANNA" and put it in the mailbox...on her own she decided they had magic stairs at te postoffice that can take the letters to him. Tonight it started again and DH tried to talk to her to no avail... I went in and we talked for a long time and I told her we could mail him another pic if she wanted... that seems to work
Any other ideas in case this one does not work and she is still so sad??? I think on e of the hardest parts of all this is seeing the kids mourn his passing

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 9:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Pets

• I like princess beths answer because it's honest, sensetive and age appropriate. I think just being straight forward with her about death and it's surroundings will help her through it and not fear it or worry about it. A pet is a wonderful,but not easy introduction into life and death. Use it as a healthy lesson.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• awww.....well what my mom used to tell me is the same thing she said for people. their body stops working and gets broken and then we bury it (or cremate), and you can never see their body again. but that is not the strongest part of a person (or animal). the strongest part is the part that we carry around with us in our heart. our memories of them can't go away or get broken. they're forever. so whenever you get sad just go to that special part of your heart with those memories and then you'll see that they are always there. that always helped me alot. gl....i know it's hard :(

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I am so sorry for your loss. My kids have lost lots of pets. The worst was when my son lost his kitty at about 4. He would randomly ask if she could sleep with him that night after the kitty was dead for a few months. It will take time. I told him that Katie was alive in his heart and he could get a new kitty when our hearts healed a bit, but that kittie may not act like Katie.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011