At what age to do start a bedtime routine? and how do I do it?

My son is 3 months old, and I've started putting him to bed around the same time every night. I don't know exactly what I'm doing, and if I'm trying to get him into a routine too soon. What should I add to his routine so he knows for sure it's bedtime?

jnhill

Asked by jnhill at 9:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started a routine when they were sleeping a little longer, so it was around 3 months too. i just do bath, lotion, pj's, book, prayers, music and rock them to sleep. when they get older i just cut out the rock them to sleep part.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• You can start anytime, sounds like you're on the right track! Obviously the routine will change as the baby gets older and his needs will change, but it seems like what you're doing know working.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• You can start a "routine" from birth but we really didn't have one until my son started sleeping through the night, at about 6-7 months. It was easier to stick to a routine then because I wasn't exhausted 24/7! We just started doing the same thing every night around the same time. Dinner, play time, bath time, relax/cuddle/book time, bedtime. We're still doing it 2 years later.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I started around 2 months, but waited until around 4 months to make it more conccrete. Before then it was just practice. A lot of times she would fall asleep before the time frame I had in mind. Routines are great ways to teach them what bedtime is like.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 10:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2011