When someone says that they are religious, do you assume...

... that they are talking about Christianity? I know that there are plenty of non-Christian religious moms on here, myself included. Yet I see so many posts written in such a way that the author seems to be functioning under the assumption that this is a Christian board, that "religious" automatically means "Christian" unless someone specifically says otherwise. I'm not complaining, I think that this is an explainable phenomenon, and so it doesn't offend me. But at the same time, doesn't that approach further margainalize other religions? It's just an issue I've noticed and a question I wanted to raise.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I dont think that automatically. I just think they have a really good relationship with God. But I know what you mean....
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 5:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• This is interesting, because it's pointed out a bit of bias on my part because when I hear someone say they're religious I probably do think of Christianity first. And I'm not Christian so I don't know why I think that! Maybe because it's the dominant religion where I live. But thanks for drawing my attention to an area where I may be drawing conclusions!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• You tell me your religious, I think that you have a higher power and have a connection to it.
    Anonymous

• Nope. I learned a long time ago that Bhuddists are religious, Muslims are religious too. So are Hindus. So if a person tells me, "Mrs Jones is sooo religious."it means nothing to me except that maybe Mrs Jones is very zealous. To me the difference is, a Christian is not religious, but SAVED.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 5:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Obviously all those things are religions, but in America Christianity takes the cake. I don't think people do it to offend or be rude, it's just mainstream.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• While, not being Christian, its not an assumption I make, I do see it alot on here--along with the assumption that if you are not Christian, you do not believe in God or something along those lines.

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• when someone tells me they are religious, or that term is used to describe a person, it makes me think they are totally into whatever they believe in. i've heard the word used to describe a person's passion or zeal towards something, whether its a church/belief, or their obsession with clean laundry -'she's religious about doing that laundry'/'he's religious with his workout routine'..in other words, it doesn't make me think of any certain spiritual connection to a church or God. someone once told me 'religion is man-made', so i guess that means its whatever a man/woman makes it out to be.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• yeah i didn't think what you did i just thought they were asking cause it was a religious question tey were posting and needed someone religious to answer. if someone is not religious then how would know the contexts of how to answer. i think it's family that atheist come on here when it's under religion but i guess they fall under beliefs but admit it most are here for religion questions or post not really beliefs. isn't it really the same thing!
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2008