If you attend church regularily, have you ever switched churches?

I don't mean if you've moved although I appreciate any advice on the subject. I mean, if you've just wanted to find a better fit for your family, what factors had an impact on your decision?

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 9:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I started going back to church in 2008. I went to 2 other churches before I found the one I go to now that I absolutely love. The first one I really liked. I was saved in that church. But my husband didn't like it. So I went to the denomination I grew up and that my husband was comfortable with. I went there a few times. My husband never went. Then I went to the church I go to now. I went a few times and then my husband went. He liked it. My son liked it. I love the worship service. I love the music. I love the preaching. I love the atmosphere. I just didn't "feel it" in the 2nd church.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I base my opinion on churches on whether or not they teach the Bible. That is very important to me. If they omit parts of the Bible, or add to it, I won't go, nor support the church.

I have switched churches once w/o moving. I was when I was in college, and I was attending one for about two years. I noticed things start to slip that I didn't like, and after speaking with the pastor, I decided to attend a different one. I didn't leave the denomination, just switched the church. I only left the first one because there were things that seemed unbiblical to me, and the pastor didn't have an explanation for why he was allowing it. Now, I attend the church that I grew up in, since I moved back home. It's only one of three churches in my area that are of my faith. My husband and I are serving there, and we love it.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• We attended a Non-denominational for a long time. That's where we were all saved and baptized. As much as we loved it there, we felt our son really needed a youth group, and he had started going with some friends to a large Assembly of God church, that had a youth group. The church we were attending really didn't have one. So, after prayer and discussion, we decided God was leading us there, and that's where we've been ever since,and love it there.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• dh and i had to learn to compromise on many things after we got married, and church was one of the big ones. coming from two very different xtian denoms, we had to find a singular church that 'married' both of our needs, spiritually speaking. so we visited several different churches..until we settled on one in particular. we've recently moved to another town, and upon searching for a new church to attend, we kept with the 'married church', but now, with a 5 1/2yo, our needs have deepened. we now wanted one that was bigger, offered a lot for kids/youth, and still ministered to our individual adult needs, as well. also, being the newbies in town, we felt a larger church would be a better way to meet more people in the community, from various walks/professional paths, to better integrate ourselves socially. with a larger church, its easier to get to know different people, and not just a handful.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I left the church I grew up in because when the new pastor and his family started things really started to change and I no longer felt comfortable there. The changes were not for the better, the church closed about a year and a half later.
    I started going to a few other churches just to check them out and finally settled on the one I'm at now. I've been there for about 4 yrs now and it was definately the right church. I was looking for a childrens program and other children my kids ages there. A pastor who could keep my interest and not confuse me with his preeching. Sometimes I don't understand the bunny trails they go off on. Also a pastor who preeched from the bible, the bible being the main focus and refrence of his sermon as opposed to hearing the pastor take on this and that.
    who knew it would also be the church my sister would meet her husband in, she married the youth pastor and just had my first nephew!!!!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• No - I've been going to the same Southern Baptist church since I was about 10 years old and my parents moved here from SC. The only reason I would move churches is if the pastor started teaching things that were not Bible based, or if I felt the Holy Spirit moving me to serve elsewhere.
    I am divorced and considered changing churches when that happened because being there reminded me of my ex, but my children are comfortable there, their friends are there, etc. so I just decided to stay and I'm glad I did.

Answer by missanc at 9:14 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• yes we have,,,,, due to moving
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 10:15 AM on Jan. 13, 2011