You're not potty training him yet?!

This is what I got from my mother last night. "Well he's 18 months and needs to start learning."
I can't even get my 3 yr old to potty train yet. Plus my son hasn't showed any interest in the potty, he still enjoys pooping on himself. UGH! Why can't people mind their own business about when other parents do things with their kids?
It's not the first time I heard it either. My MIL said it and emailed my husband I was being lazy and not even trying. Of coarse I haven't even tried. I need to focus on my 3 yr old and getting it done and IF he shows interest then I'll do it then. If he shows interest while I'm potty training my daughter I'll do it at the same time. JUST MIND YOUR Ps and Qs! Sorry had to get that out.

Did anyone ever train both children at once and was successful?
I won't try with him if he isn't showing any interest. I don't want to push him.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• People are ignorant when it comes to remembering potty training. They swear their kids did it by 1 or 1 1/2 and we all know it ISN'T true. They may have shown some sort of interest by then, but they were NOT fully potty trained!!!

You do what you gotta do for your kids and don't worry about what anyone say...even your mother!!!
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 9:59 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• yea, u cant push them. it will make it worse! dont worry about what your MIL thinks. MIL's will be MIL's, till the end of time. its YOUR child. & your resposibility not hers
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would just introduce the potty to him and let him observe the 3 year old actively potty training and like you said if there is an interest then go for it with both at the same time but if not I wouldnt worry about what they say. I have heard of people potty training 2 kids at once succesfully and your yonger one may surprise you and be more interested than you think. good luck.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would start to encourage your 3 yo if you haven't already but as far as the younger child I wouldn't sweat other people's opinions. Sure it's discouraging and annoying, just know you're doing your best.
    It is easy to think that someone who has a 3 yo not even starting to train is being lazy. I watched a girl who once I told the parent's that she is dry all the time at my house and the things I did that helped her they quickly got on board with potty training her! but she was closer to 4 and they told me it was easier for her to be indiapers for them.
    good luck with the negativity and good luck with potty training.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I agree with you. I have 4 all over that stage now. But I never pushed them either. When you do they loose interest. They do it when they are ready, Seems to be different times for all kids. My oldest was almost 4 and my youngest was barely 2. So seems to depend on the child.
    My sister has a 2 year old and she's trying to get her potty trained..It's not working. I keep her during the week and she's just not interested. At first she was, but not now. She'll walk around in wet panties if you let her. So..yea
    As hard as it is I would just blow off the MIL. And hopefully your husband is sticking up for you, That would be his place since it's his mother.
    :-)
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My oldest didn't get fully trained until he was 3 1/2. My youngest is 14 months right now. I wouldn't even think about training him until he is at least 2. Don't worry. People just need to mind their own business. My mom mentioned to me that she had me potty trained by the age of 2. Who cares! All kids are different.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• my son was right at 2 when he potty trained and my daughter was over 3 I thought she would never get there....she just plain out didnt care if she was wet or dirty I could sit with her for hours...take her every 15 minutes ...she just didnt care. then one day it just clicked and she has been great ever since....so hang in there and dont let anyone get to you...you know you are trying and doing your best and that is all that matters.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Believe me Amanda I've tried for the past yr to get her to train she just refuses and pees herself.

mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 9:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2011