Stress and GD

Does stress cause your sugar to mess up? I have gestational diabetes and today my sugar was 164 the highest it has ever been, and i've been so stressed lately! So does stress mess with the sugar levels?

brittany320

Asked by brittany320 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have GD as well, and I've heard that it does have some effect on your sugar levels. A lot of things you wouldn't think of do -- even smoking a cigarette effects your sugar levels. (Not that I smoke, just what the doctor says, it surprised me) .. don't worry, 164mg/dl is NOT that bad, I've had higher and my doctor always said it isn't a cause for concern unless they are consistently running like that every single day for every test, or if they are above 250mg/dl for an entire day. Mine is totally diet-controlled but I don't think that matters. Good luck and don't worry!
    NMRx

Answer by NMRx at 7:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I had GD as well, and I am not sure about the stress making it rise. Try going for a walk?
    Anonymous

• Haha thanks for the suggestion, but its like 20 degrees outside!
    brittany320

Answer by brittany320 at 4:58 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Yes! Stress is a huge factor in controlling blood sugar in any type of diabetes. I would recommend you check out the American Diabetes Association site http://www.diabetes.org/gestational-diabetes.jsp. Good luck and try to keep stress to a minimum (easier said than done)!
    SassyJulie

Answer by SassyJulie at 5:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Stress can make your body function abnormally, so I guess technically it could be affecting your GD.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Stress effects EVERYTHING!.... relax... I know...easier said than done right...lol
    twinklstar

Answer by twinklstar at 5:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2008