Does the size of the house make the mother ?

we have a small house and five kids ... 2 kids to a room and one in a very large walk in ...It is his get away and he loves it ..Lately I have been thinking I am failing as amother because my kids dont have there own rooms .They live on five acres of land with horses and lots of pets but ijust fail as they ar lacking personal space...We could move to a bigger place but then the animals would have to go..An ghetto here we come .... what would you do to kick this feeling ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• No. A lot of kids share a room with a sibling. They have plenty of space outside.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Lots of kids share a room, that does not make you a lousy mother. Granted, most kids don't live in closets and eventually he will need his own space but your children are happy and I think that shows more of what kind of mother you are than how big your house is.
    Anonymous

• I think you are doing just fine. If you are really concerned with how they feel about it, have them vote on if they would rather have pets and land or more rooms.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• lol he doesnt live in a closet . he has a trundle bed that he shares with the other boys .. But he does not want to share with the younger boys .. there is a five year difference so he . retreats to his room for his time ,video games and tv reading and such
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Are your kids genuinely happy with their lives? If so, then there's nothing wrong with your life.
    The size of the house makes absolutely no difference at all. They can find personal space outside, at a friend's house, or even by sectioning off the room to seperate it from their roommate. The family bond, the connection, the happiness in their lives, the love of the family and friends is soo much more important.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It's only in modern times that people have become obsessed with "personal space" for each kid. Heck, 60 or so years ago it was still common for kids to share beds, nevermind sharing rooms.
    We also have 5 kids and 3 bedrooms. Our 3 girls (10, 8 and 4 1/2) share one room. There are only 2 small beds in there for now. We let them decide who got the floor (the 4yo volunteered). Eventually they will have bunk beds and a loft bed. My 9yo son has the other room to himself for the time being but when the baby (currently 6 months) gets a crib they will share. And it will always be that way. There's nothing wrong with it. When I was little my brother's "room" was a little alcove off of the living room with a decorative divider up. It was just big enough for a twin bed and a small dresser. There was no privacy at all and he survived.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:32 AM on Jan. 13, 2011