Weaning to whole milk

We have been giving our 12 month old dd whole milk for a little over a month now to wean her from nursing. Most of the time she does just fine with it, but about once a week it has given her diarrhea. I am more than positive it's the milk because there is nothing else new in her diet. Also, it is only ever one loose stool in the day, it has never been multiple episodes. I am not sure where to go from here. We are all ready to wean, including her, but since she is slow to gain weight we have been advised against soy unless it is the last option because we would then have to find a way to make up the calorie and fat difference in her diet. Would you continue with the milk or not? I am a little lost here...

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you might try it a bit longer and see if her body adjusts to it or you could go with lactose free milk.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would talk to her dr. Maybe try much smaller amounts. Does she react this way to other milk products (cheese, yogurt)?
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 10:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• No, she does not react this way to cheese or yogurt and has handled both of those fine.
    rhianna1708

Comment by rhianna1708 (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• We had lots of issues when we tried to switch over to milk as well. As a matter of fact, I had to take dairy out of my diet when breastfeeding my second son b/c it made him sick. Ends up he's sensitive to casein...which we found out after a few blood tests. We tried rice milk and almond milk but he wouldn't drink them. Sometimes if a child is allergic to cow milk they are also allergic to soy milk, so be careful. We ended up trying goat's milk (which does have casein...but just lower amounts...it's similar to breastmilk) and he loved it. I can not even stand the smell of it...it makes me nauseated...but if he likes it then great! It's the first thing he would drink and he downed it! We used to give him cod liver oil as a supplement daily to help him gain weight (dr orders of course). You can mix small amounts into the milk or into their baby food.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My son had the same reaction, and the doctor told us to switch him to Lactaid for a while. Normally by the time they are two their bodies are used to the proteins and lactose in milk.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2011