Bunk bed for a almost 4 year old?

So for Christmas my son's grandmother got him a bunk bed...yikes! It is very nice and he will grow into it but it makes me so nervous. My son will be 4 next month on the 2nd. We established rules for his bunk bed such as, no sleeping up top, no getting up top without someone in the room, etc... I got to the point where I took the ladder off, I dont want him getting up there without me in there!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I dont see why he couldnt have it. We're getting one for our 6 and 3 year old in March..the 6 yr old gets the top and the 3 yr old gets the bottom. but its good that u established rules.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 10:16 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My son is four year old & has a bunk bed we have no problems at all you have to let him be a boy rather you like it or not he will find a way up especially since you told him not too.
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I hope they asked you before getting the bunk! We got one for our son when he was the same age, but made him sleep on the bottom as well...also removed the ladder for safety. He finally started sleeping on the top right before his 5th bday. He was so anxious to sleep up there and we had a little co-sleeper still in our bed but one day our little one decided he wanted to sleep in the bottom bunk...we were so pumped that he didn't want to sleep with us anymore that we let our 4 year old move to the top so the little one could get in the bottom one! Both children are still enjoying the bunk and we've never had any accidents!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:23 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• We got my dd a bunk bed when she was early 3, same rules in our house *no sleeping on top & only allowed to play on top with someone watching* BUT she is almost 4 and now we let her get up there and play by herself.
    buella

Answer by buella at 10:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Maybe I am over-protective lol?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• seriously? my son was sleeping on the top of a bunkbed when he was like 2, when we were visiting family out of town. for a brief time this year we had to live with family, and he was again, on the top bunk. he's 3.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I'm over protective, too, then. I don't think I'd let my kid sleep on the top bunk and he just turned 4. But then he gets up at least once or twice per night to pee or snuggle us.
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 11:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2011