Should people with neurofibromatosis have a lot of children? ( edit i read a few article tonight about AUTISM having a connection with NF)

I have NF2. I was recently diagnosed with it. I have only one child, who do have special needs. which could of been cause form my nf. I go to a special doctor for my nf now, I met a women there with six children, all of the kids had a disabilities. she said " 3 of them have autism and 2 of nf1 and the youngest is delayed in speech and walking skills. but what I found weird she is pregnant now. the women told me her doctor said her NF caused her children autism. ( of course this did not happen when we first met, i have her number we do aim each other when were not busy)

Is it a bad idea to have to many kids with nf?

,

idajohnson

Asked by idajohnson at 10:06 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• NF occurs in 1 out of 3000 births. It is not always passed down genetically. NF can occur spontaneously (Spontaneous Mutation)
    Every birth--Every pregnancy there is a risk for 'something' to go wrong.
    And each and every child, after they are born, has a risk to develop 'something'.

True no one would ever WANT to pass on a genetic condition like NF....But each and every person has their own right to have a child and should never be judged for choosing to do so.

Life is a risk worth taking. I chose to have children...and I am very proud of this decision.

swtlilwamom

Answer by swtlilwamom at 9:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• personally i wouldnt want to wish a disablity on any child and if it could cause all you children to have a disability you have to ask yourself how many kids with a disability can you take care of or handle and is it eithicly or morally right to knowingly persue pregancy that has a high risk for disability. its more of a personal question i think because it runs on your values and morals. also a good question is is your NF2 going to get worse and can it render you incapable of taking care of yourself and other and can pregancy make it worse.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• According to what I'm reading I would say no only for the child sake. =[

"Neurofibromatosis is a neurocutaneous syndrome passed down through the parents' genes, and it affects the brain, spinal cord, nerves, skin, and other systems in the body."

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Personally if I had a genetic disorder that I knew would most probably be passed down to my children, I would probably chose not to have children.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:23 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I do not know alot about this but with all that you stated above I think I would not . I would rather not have kids who will have special needs because who will take care of them if you were to pass on. I say research and speak to your doctor ........................Pray and ask for guidance in your discussion.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 11:17 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• mama2bof2 I have a question for you what do " our tax dollars at its finest! " She have no public existing and she is teaching her children to be more self sufferance. she own her own home and she have private insurance, Her and her husband own their own business. she not home all day sitting on her ass, the kids have special needs but they go to regular school but a inclusion classes. and the baby go to daycare for children with special needs. ( she have to pay for it.) none of the kids are on ssi because she know people like you would become judgmental of her. WHY MUST PEOPLE THINK HAVING CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS TAKE FORM THEIR TAX DOLLAR ?
    idajohnson

Comment by idajohnson (original poster) at 9:01 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• really? she has 6 six kids, all with issues and shes bringing more into the world???? our tax dollars at its finest! and im not at all bashing you, but there is a dif, you are not using your body as a breeding ground. good lord!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 8:38 AM on Jan. 14, 2011