When should a parent or parents start discipling their child or children?

Hi everyone, I was having a conversation with my husband about this topic. We both agree that it should be as soon as they start touching things they are not suppose too. I have family members that don't agree with us and don't agree on spanking. We both has children from previous marriage. He used some spanking and I used some and our children came out okay.
What do you think? do you start early when they are 1 year old or when do you start?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• i agree with you that's what we did... but i sure do have one stubborn child.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 10:13 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have always heard start when the child turns one, it makes it easier in the long run.
    Hope99

Answer by Hope99 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I agree with starting at around a year, although I am not one for spanking. I have always used a positive reinforcement method and it has worked great for me. My kids are 13, 11 and 9 and they are all very well behaved.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I think family members need not know your business. In other words butt out!

You do as you see fit to do with your family.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Well I am not sure what spanking has to do with anything unless you are suggesting to spank children under 1. Which I don't know what you are going to accomplish there.
    Either way we did not start discipline until she could understand what she was in trouble for and her punishment. Until than we used distraction and moving some items out of reach of my DD. We do not spank and never have and my DD is very well behaved - so to each their own.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 10:19 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i always thought and did as i thought and that was when they are old enough to do something wrong. like they touch or play with something they shouldnt a smack on the hand and a stern no. but i started i guess when they started walking and getting into things so a year for my first and 9 months for my second.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• depends what you call discipline. As soon as my dd crawled we would tell her No no and redirect.
    buella

Answer by buella at 10:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• as soon as they start getting into stuff. which is basically when they start crawling lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• We started basically when they began to crawl, which for one son was 5 months and the other two kids 9 months. We would tell them no and redirect. They all knew our tone and the word no before they were one.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Thank you everyone gor your comments. I just want to make sure that everyones knows that
    I'm not suggesting to spank their child. I totally respect and understand we all have different ways
    Of discipling our children. I was just wondering how others parents were discipling. It's each generation has
    It ways.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011