Washing hair

My 2 y/o daughter screams and fights and freaks out every time I wash her hair. She sees me fill up the special rinse cup, the kind that have a flimsy part to put agianst the head so water doesn't go on their face, and freaks out then before I have even touched her hair! What do I do?! I don't want her to be terrified of getting her hair washed and all I do is rush through it. I hate that this is a struggle what can I do? I was thinking of one of those flimsy shower heads you attach to the bath faucet, the kind for pets will that work causee its not being dumped on her?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 10:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I hate to say it but my 4 y/o still throws a fit sometimes. It drives me crazy! Hope someone has some good advice for you.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 10:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Have you tried a shower instead of bath? My youngest doesn't like getting her head wet either unless it's playtime or a shower. I starting giving her mohawks with the soap and letting her see, made of game of it, and it helped. I also make sounds as I put soap/rinse off her face to keep her distracted. Have you tried a cute faucet cover? They have elephants, whales, etc so baby doesn't bump their head but if she sees a cute animal maybe she won't be as scared.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 10:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• showers are a no go! she sees that she freaks out!
    rhanford

Comment by rhanford (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• they have hats too that they can wear...also my kids like to dump it on their own heads...
    Sarah26

Answer by Sarah26 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I used to put my ironing board against the kitchen sink, have my kids lie downface up on the ironing board so that there was never any water or shampoo in their faces and eyes. Kind of like going to a Salon,know what I mean? Washing kids' hair in the tub or shower is just not going to work---they always get soap in their eyes and that stings. Poor little kids.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Put her in swimming lessons at your local YMCA or gym or highschool. I am serious, it is an odd answer, but it will really help her. They teach them to blow bubbles in the water and that having water on the face is fun. In the meantime, can you cover her eyes with a washcloth that you let her hold on her face while you tip the water just over her hair. Giving her somethingh that she can control can make a huge difference in the process. If it makes you feel any better apparently I used to scream bloody murder for hair washes too, and I shower and wash my hair happily every day now as an adult : )
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:45 AM on Jan. 13, 2011