Does Texas Medicaid cover newborn's circumcisions?

Since in both of our families we have relatives including my husband who are circumcised, we have both agreed to do the precedure to our little boy when he's born. I live in Texas so as a first time parents we don't know if Texas Medicaid covers it.

NewMom3-4-2011

Asked by NewMom3-4-2011 at 10:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they should. i had medicaid in Colorado and it covered it. so i don't see why they wouldn't in Texas.

Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I'd figure it should. All of his health care should be. Then again, I'm from Kansas, so I can't say for certain.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 10:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• According to this article the 16 states without Medicaid coverage for male circumcision are California, Oregon, North Dakota, Mississippi, Nevada, Washington, Missouri, Arizona, North Carolina, Montana, Utah, Florida, Maine, Louisiana, Idaho and Minnesota.

So, yes, Texas Medicaid should cover it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• idk about the answer above but as far as I know every medicaid co ers circumcisions... My cousin tranfered her medicaid to pittsburg and didn't have to pay out of pocket for his circumcision
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 10:55 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Some insurance companies are considering it optional cosmetic surgery and are not covering it because of that. You really need to talk with your particular company so you are not surprised with a bill.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:07 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I don't know about Texas, but North Carolina Medicaid doesn't cover it anymore. I asked the doctor why and he said that they don't do it anymore because it is considered cosmetic surgery.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:33 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Honestly, the best way to find this out is to call the number on the back of your card and ask. I know that many ins companies are no longer paying for circumcision if it is just routine, but I'm sure many still do pay for it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:01 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I have Community Health Choice in Texas and I called today to see if it was covered (dh and I want our son to have it done) and they told me it was covered
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2013