So I feel stupid...

But where does all the PP blood and blood in the delivery room come from? I know you make a lot more while you're pregnant, and obviously the baby needs some of that, but how/why does the rest come out? I'm envisioning the umbilical cord that helps supply the baby with blood, the placenta, the amniotic fluid, of course your uterus, but where do all the clots and blood come from? I'm perplexed! lol...and feeling rather stupid for not knowing this.

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 5:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• When the amniotic sac detaches from your uterus, your uterus bleeds. As your uterus cramps and contracts after delivery, the bleeding slows and eventually stops.

Tearing and episiotomies can also account for some blood.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I dont understand what your trying to ask??
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 5:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I meant placenta... when the placenta detaches... lol
    BlueFrogMama

• I was asking why you bleed I suppose...BlueFrogMama must have understood me...lol...that's pretty much what I was wondering...what the actual process is that causes it. I thought the placenta detaching must have had something to do with it considering it is attached to you, but I wasn't sure and I've thought about it for over an hour...lol
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• think about like this - it's your period sent into over drive..
    Anonymous

• From your stetched out uterus of course. It is the most vascular organ in your body . There is an extra thick lining that was used to support the baby and protect it. That is no longer needed. The clots are formed when the placenta pulls away from the interior wall.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• good question.... i never really thought of it...but yah i get it now from reading the answers.....
    twinklstar

Answer by twinklstar at 5:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2008