sleepless 2 year olds...

my son is almost 2 and a half and tends to wake up in the middle of the night screaming! we thought it was night terrors at first, since he was latching out with his eyes still shut. do any of you have children that wake in the middle of the night that do that or just want to be up?

meglynn0919

Asked by meglynn0919 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If it is night terrors, don't try to wake him or talk to him. It will make it worse. Just go in an check on him and let it run its course. Make sure he goes to sleep early to get enough sleep, because night terrors are associated with being sleep deprived. You may need to give an extra nap during the day to help his body readjust.

If he wakes up from a nightmare, soothe him and stay with him until he falls back to sleep.

One other option is that his body may be getting ready for developmental changes. Naps will help with that.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• thank you! we are trying the self soothing...again (as we did when he was an infant..I HATE IT). he hasnt had a night terror in a while. and the past 2 days he hasnt taken a very long nap because we have been busy running errands and stuff!!
    meglynn0919

Comment by meglynn0919 (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My son (only 18 months) does the exact same thing, I also hated the self soothing! I find that saying "shhh" softly and rubbing his back seems to help calm him down.
    amygoetsch

Answer by amygoetsch at 1:18 AM on Jan. 13, 2011