Science fair ideas for a 5th grader in the highly capable program?

You'd think he could think one up himself but he just found out the proposal has to be in by Friday and we are all drawing blanks. I cant even remember the names of some educational websites that have ideas.

luvschocolate

Asked by luvschocolate at 10:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Go to the library. I know ours has a section with tons of books with ideas for science projects.
    Anonymous

• Oh - maybe you can look on Amazon for such books - and see if you can read the ideas in the Tables of Contents when you look inside the books!
    Anonymous

• sciencebuddies.com
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• sorry sciencebuddies.org
    jewjewbee

• JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I'll give you what my son did this year. He wanted to see if fertilizers had an impact on seed germination. He used distilled water, miracle gro and an organic fertilizer called grow big (or big grow.) He planted alfalfa seeds, ten cups of each type of watering substance, and charted the days to germination. He won his category and best in fair. I'm sure he'd be willing to help, too..
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• been there- done that- Google the question and the websites will come up.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:56 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Tadpoles

Apparently, their growth is affected by the amount of iodine in the water they live in. So you could have a control group (distilled water, no iodine, no salt), a group with salted water (iodized table salt), salt water (salt w/o added iodine) and water treated with actual iodine. After a week, see how each have developed.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• I did one called Sand and Fire. It was on how glass is made. My dad was in the glass industry...it was very fun/interesting and I got an A. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2011