Have you ever worked for DQ?

If you have, how long did it take you to get the perfect curl on the ice cream cone? I started practicing today and can't quite get the base and ball perfect. My area manager was getting mad at me; my first day trying it, hello! Aside from "practice," are there any tips you might have? They actually have a note printed on both of the ice cream machines that states if there's an employee who cannot do this, they are immediately terminated. I just got this job (assistant manager; went in to interview for a shift lead) and I can't lose it due to me not being able to perfect the ice cream cone within the first day!

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 10:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Food & Drink

• YES ! I worked there many years ago. The best thing that worked for me is when you make the ball (slowly pull the cone down with your left hand slowly cut the flow of the ice cream with your right) bring the cone up slightly and circle around in a stiring motion it will make a curl. GOOD LUCK
    your boss sounds like a jack ass
    1nglmom3

Answer by 1nglmom3 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Yes I did work at two different stores. To get the right shape ball remember to keep the cone close to the nozzle, otherwise your cone will come out long. Very slowly move the cone down, then to create the next ball, move the cone up a little bit and start a new ball. When you get to the top, to curl it, you hold the cone still and turn off the machine, then pull down and twist the cone around to make the curl.
    Practice makes perfect, so just keep it up. If your manager gets crabby, tell him to buzz off.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• No, but heres a bump!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 12:26 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• My sister did, and they did NOT expect her to learn it that fast! Your boss sounds like a jerk. She got several weeks of off and on training in soft serve and it took her many tries to perfect her curl. Don't worry...you will get it! She's been working elsewhere for several years now and whenever we go to Yogurt Mountain or someplace with self serve ice cream, she just HAS to show off her ball and curl. *rolls eyes*

Good luck!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:28 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• He's only there to help train me, I guess. I really hope that I get other chances to try it. He was also getting mad that I was standing around. Well, I was observing everything. Apparently there are cameras in this one that also have audio (so we have to watch what we say if we're bitching about it) and if people are just standing about, the people watching the video feed will call the store to ask the manager on duty why people aren't doing anything.

I'm also shy, at first. When I try to talk to customers in the dining area, I stumble over my words.. even when it's something as simple as, "How is everything? Is there anything I can clear away from your table for you?" I make eye contact with customers and give them a big smile; it's just what I do when I start a new job and I'm getting to know the regular customers.

My experience states that my customer service is excellent; it just takes a little warming up.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 12:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I keep thinking that he expects me to learn it more quickly because of the position I was hired for. I worked at BR for about a month roughly ten years ago. Their soft serve is totally different. I waitressed as well and their soft serve was different. I'm used to making shakes with the metal canister. I'm constantly afraid of tearing the cup when making their signature treat.

Maybe I'll work with the store manager more often. He seems to at least give me a chance and has patience.

Thank you, ladies. I appreciate it.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• no, but i know people that have!
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 10:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Nope..I did work for Pizza Ranch though..lol...
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

• no idea what it is sorry
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2011