has anyone had to give their 15 month old breathing treatments?

My son was given Albuterol and Pulmicort for breathing treatments, he's only 15 months old. I've tried giving him the treatments but he keeps fighting me every step of the way... sometimes he'll try to chew on the end that goes in his mouth, which is OK cause then he still gets the medicine in his lungs. but most of the time he's trying to wiggle and squirm away from it. i know its not the sound of the machine that is bothering him because i can vacuum with him right in the room with me. can anyone help me in figuring out an easier way of giving the treatments?

momma4AJ

Asked by momma4AJ at 11:22 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Health

• Is there something that he is fascinated with? Maybe a train, a tv show, certain music? If so, I would try to get his attention on something while you gave him the breathing treatment.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:25 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i've tried movies, toys, letting him play with my phone, even taking a sucker and wetting it and putting some of the flavor in the end that goes in his mouth ( actually the nurse did that one)... nothing...
    momma4AJ

Comment by momma4AJ (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• They didn't give you a mask to use on him? I would say look into getting one of those.... It will still be a bit of a fight but you would have more control.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i do have a mask for it, he just rips it off or moves his head so i cant get it on him... and we have 2 other types of mouth pieces for it too
    momma4AJ

Comment by momma4AJ (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• he needs the mask....my daughter needed treatments this young and i usually sat and talk to her but for this small see if the doc can give you a mask some even have fun fishy faces:) ours does...LOL
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• When my kids were little as long as we aimed at their nose and mouth the
    Dr said it was fine, just put a band aid or tape on the other end and wave the mouth around around their face. I would always have them on my lap with a book as well.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Have him sitting between your legs with his back against your chest. Put your legs over his to hold him still. As long as the air is getting to his nose and mouth it doesn't matter if you use a mask or not. I had a couple of kids in my day care class that needed treatments and that is how the doc and respiratory therapist had us do the treatment. You can also do the treatment when they are sleeping. Just hold the mask near the face/nose.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• he does have a mask, but like i said, he rips it off or fights me when trying to get it on. my friend has one that is a dinosaur...
    momma4AJ

Comment by momma4AJ (original poster) at 11:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Oh, okay, I thought you were holding the mask. That is what the doctor told me to do. Just hold it over his mouth/nose and play with some blocks or something to pass the time.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• When DD had croup I held her in my lap holding her head while the nurse held the mask on her. She didn't like it and screamed quite a bit but the nurse said at least with her doing that made sure she was getting a good amount in her lungs.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011