Am I doing it wrong?

Ok so my sister in law and I have toddlers 3 weeks apart. She has a boy and I have a girl. She is potty training her son, by putting him on the potty every 1/2 hour. I however am not putting my daughter on the potty unless she asks. They are both 2 years old. Her son pees on the potty alot, my daughter has never actually gone but just sat on the potty. My mother in law said that I should put her on the potty like my sister in law does every 1/2 hour.
Now I disagree with this because I don't feel like that is "training" but more like preventing an accident.
What do you guys think?

2GirlsRmyLife

Asked by 2GirlsRmyLife at 11:24 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• every child is going to b ready at a different time. do it the way u feel best. & i agree, every half hour is a little excessive in my opinion
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If it's working for your sister, it can't hurt anything to give it a shot. Even if it does prevent an accident, your daughter has to learn what the sensation of using the bathroom feels like. It's worth a shot at least in my book.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I agree with you. kids are ready at different stages. you can try for a week and if shes not interested wait a few months and trey again. You never hear of a kindergartner not being trained. She will be trained well before that, but let her do it at her pace. I had one kid that took 9 months and another that took 2 weeks including night time.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Actually, once my son showed all the readiness signs, I took hi every 15 minutes until he had no accident and could make it every time. Then, I upped it to 30 and so on. He was completely trained in 4 days.

Little kids are NOT going to tell you they need to go.. They have no clue what you are talking about or how to associate it. If you put her in diapers and take her and have her try every 15 or 30 minutes, she will either go on the potty and "get" it....or go in the underwear and see it and "get" it. You have to connect the dots for her. Once she has it down at 30 minutes, you up it to 45..when she gets it then, you move up to 60. By the time you have done this for 2 or 3 days, she should be able to understand and can run and do it herself.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It does sound that way but the reasoning behind it is that your daughte will realize she is suppose to pee in the potty. You should praise her when she does. She'll see the diff between that and when she doesnt go. Eventually you can spread the time out and then she'll start asking when she needs to go. There is no right or wrong way and every child is different so if this method doesnt work for you child I'd research others online! Good luck! :)
    JennyJenny529

Answer by JennyJenny529 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• it's you who really has to do it for them in the begining i'm doing it with my son to... i'm asking him aswell but also telling him kay let go potty.. you can do it but you also want to do what works for you.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 11:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have worked in childcare for over 10 years now. I have helped potty train several children. What we do is once the potty training starts, they wear pull ups for the first week or two (sometimes shorter or longer depending on the child). We then take them to potty about every 30 minutes to an hour depending on the child. The reason for this is not to prevent accidents but to help the child become in tune with the bodies and help them recognize when they have to go potty. Once they have done that for a week or two then they move to big girl/boy underwear. Again, depending on the child, we took them every 30 minutes to an hour. Once they got the hang of it, we would then take them every 1-1 1/2 hours and then every 1 1/2-2 hours or when they told us that they needed to go. This system worked best for our situation. However, every child is different and only you know your daughter best.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• when training my daughter i took her every 20 minutes..and she got one m&m if she went pee..2 if she went poops. she was trained in 3 days!! LOL i also trained her in the summer tho, so she could walk around naked
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have 4 kids one with disabilities and they were all traine before 3. I also worked in childcare for15 years. make it fun take her to the store and let her pick out her own panties, Make it easy undies and t-shirt is fine around the house and make sure she can get on and off the potty by herself. We also had a jar of m&m's close by. At first my kids got a goody just for sitting on the toilet then when they got the hang of it we upped the goodies to 4 or 5 m&m's if they go. Oh yeah every 45min. worked for us and one time a star chart. good luck its not easy for you.
    nikkitorres

Answer by nikkitorres at 11:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• my son is one year old.I'm a full time working mommy.I used to took him every 30 minutes during the summers.he got so well trained that he peed only in toilet,not in his pants(we avoid diapers), not even at night.But now because of winter season things have changed a bit.now he pees after every 15 minutes and I try to make him do his deed in the toilet, but have to make him wear a diaper during evenings & at night
    A11

Answer by A11 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 13, 2011