SHould government not pay for AIDS /HIV treatment ?

State Rep. Larry Brown said during a discussion of his legislative goals for the year that the government should not spend money to treat adults with HIV or AIDS who "caused it by the way they live."

Brown, R-Forsyth, made the comments when asked by the Winston-Salem Journal to talk about his goals for the N.C. General Assembly session set to begin this month.

He began by discussing his support for a constitutional amendment limiting marriage to a union between one man and one woman, which would forestall any efforts to allow same-sex marriage.

He went on to say he thinks the government shouldn't spend money to treat HIV among people "living in perverted lifestyles."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:27 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www2.journalnow.com/news/2011/jan/11/1/brown-criticized-for-remarks-about-hiv-ar-686379/

"I'm not opposed to helping a child born with HIV or something, but I don't condone spending taxpayers' money to help people living in perverted lifestyles," said Brown, who ran unopposed in the November election to win a fourth term.

Brown wouldn't say Tuesday what he considers perverted, but did say that adults who get HIV through sexual behavior or drugs would be among those who should not be treated at government expense.

Asked how he would feel about the government paying for diseases caused by smoking, Brown said he felt the same as for HIV because smokers "choose to do that on their own."

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Most people that are HIV Positive or have full blown AIDS are not perverted. What about a child that has contracted HIV from it's mother, does that mean that an innocent child leads a preverted life? Give me a break. Sounds like another politician that wants to push his views on everyone else. YES, the government should pay for treatment. And, more importantly, they should pay for prevention and to help find a cure.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• i wonder if he would help obese people, bc they choose to eat on their own
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Oh my.........
    Bible thumpers....I lived in NC for several years and I was frustrated by the bigots, so this guy doesn't surprise me. But he is not a very nice person. WHat would he say about treating a person with lung cancer? People cause their lung cancer by smoking cigarettes--cigs that come from North Carolina tobacco. LOL. I mean,...,.where does he get to decide who gets medical teatments and who doesn't ??? What a bozo. And he is against same sex marriage too. Wow.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• That could be used for anything, anywhere if you try hard enough. They try to make things black and white, but they aren't .
    No paying for cancer treatment because you didn't take care of yourself.
    No paying for pre natal care, because you chose to have sex.
    No paying for heart disease treatment because you didn't eat right or smoked.

The list would go on and on.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Well...funny thought here. If I were a smoker and I knew that the state wouldn't help me if I got deathly ill from it, that would be enought to scare me straight! lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• What an idiot.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:49 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would like for HIV/AIDS treatment to be available free. This would be a good resource for those affected but cannot afford. But more on the financial practical, this allows more research to be done for a super virus vaccine to be discovered. This planet seriously needs this.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 12:33 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I'm assuming this is part of a state medical plan that helps poor without insurance? If so, then yes AIDS should be included.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:03 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• It doesn't matter because pretty soon there will be many things the state won't pay for . It may not be his reasoning but we are broke as a country and many states are worse off because they cannot just print the money,
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 13, 2011