How do you dispose of paint?

Just need to know where/how? I don't want to pollute anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You might want to search your area for a hazard waste pick up or drop off. I know our city has days every once in a great while that they will do pick ups of that kind of stuff.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Call your local dump/ waste management company. Our dump has a chemical waste disposal section. But it differs with each city.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:32 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• 1Check the label to see if any lead or hazardous materials are in it. Some old paints call for hazardous waste disposal.
    2Remove the lid and let the paint air dry in the can. To speed up the process, stir in an absorbent material such as clay kitty litter, sawdust, or leftover concrete mix.3Look to see when the paint is completely dry and shows no moisture whatsoever, wrap the dried clump in newspaper and place into your regular trash. Do not place the lid back on the can. Wrap the lid and can separately in newspaper for disposal. This option works best for latex paints because oil based paints require an extensive time to dry.4If you need to get rid of a lot of latex paint you may want to consider purchasing "waste paint hardener" A cup or so of this powder mixed in with a gallon of paint will cause it to harden up within hours
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 11:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• No paint is allowed in our trash. It is in the contract when you sign up for service. So check your local area.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• our dump has a drop off site, you can also pour kitty litter in,l let it harden and then dispose of in garbage.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• No idea, we save what is left for touchups when needed
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:41 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Yep, we save ours too for touch ups...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If it is oil based, it has to be taken to a recycling center. If it's latex, it should be taken to a recycling center, BUT if it's dry, it's safe to throw away. If you just have a little bit, pout it out onto a piece of plastic like a trash bag, and let it dry in the sun. It's only safe to throw away if it's a solid.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:41 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• In my locality, I can put dried out latex paint in the trash, but oil/alkyd paint I have to take to a hazardous waste collection (a scheduled event in my county.) I've dried out the cans by opening them a crack and leaving them that way in my shed for a couple of months (they may dry out faster than that, but I forget about them once they're in the shed.)
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• we have a drop off here every so once in a bit,,
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 10:11 AM on Jan. 13, 2011