what the best pain reliever when you throw your back out?

i was holding my newborn nehpew the other day..he was sleeping on me chest/tummy for 3.5 hrs..lol..we didnt move at all!! and i was kinda sitting/leaning/slouching on the couch while holding him..and the next morning i woke up with a stiff back!! serves me right, i know!! but what can i do to help it? i've been taking robaxacet (sp) and putting rub a535 cream on it..but OOOOOOOW i hurt!!!!

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Health

• Ice packs 20 mins on and 20 mins off then hot showers and stretching if u dont want to go to the Dr who will prob hand u pain pills and muscle relaxers.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Ibueprofen.
    JennyJenny529

Answer by JennyJenny529 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• If it is that bad, go to the doctor. You could have pinched a nerve. I never mess around with the back.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• My doctor gave me Ibuprofen then changed me over to Mobic. Try doing some gentle stretches. You can google them. When my back went out a chiropractor screwed it up worse so my primary care doctor sent me to Physical Therapy. It was amazing how much that helped but take the Motrin/Ibuprofen for inflammation

Answer by admckenzie at 11:53 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Depends on what you've got. But it sounds like you've got a muscle spasm. You can take ibuprofen to reduce inflammation, and ice it to reduce it further. Be gentle for a while. Or you could go to your doctor and get a muscle relaxant, but that's likely to make you tired and unfit to hold your brand new nephew!

I also recommend a massage therapist. Moving those muscles around sure helps. Then back to the icing and ibuprofen!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:02 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I went to the dr and was given Oxy Contin.....but if its minor I'd say Ibuprofen .... good luck!
    I don't think you'll need what I needed, mine was from a car accident

Hope you feel better
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 12:14 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I take Ibuprofen and lie on the floor and stretch. It will help.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Formula 303 is a miracle worker for me. It works better than the prescription Flexeril for me. When I throw my neck or back out, I take two of those and two ibuprofen before I go to sleep, and I wake up with most of the swelling down and my movement not restricted anymore. http://www.earthturns.com/Formula-303-Natural-Relaxant-p/f303-250.htm

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:40 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I have been going to chiropractor I know that most people think that doesn't work but I felt better after the 1st session
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 1:44 AM on Jan. 13, 2011