What do you do when people don't follow the rules on an Airplane?

EXAMPLE: [www.nypost.com]~The airline passenger who got into an angry war of words with media newshound Arianna Huffington for using her BlackBerry when their plane was taking off was unrepentant yesterday, claiming she needlessly imperiled the safety of other travelers by selfishly ignoring the rules.

"She was putting the use of her BlackBerry ahead of the safety of the entire plane. It was purely her own self-interest she was concerned with," said Ellis Belodoff, 53.

The small shuttle jet has only 47 seats and Huffington was seated in the first row along the left side of the plane, while Belodoff was seated in row four, on the opposite side.

Belodoff said he didn’t know about Huffington being a media mogul before the flight, but he saw her using her BlackBerry as the plane was taxiing down the runway — and a flight attendant repeatedly declined any opportunity to tell her to turn off the device.

"I see a hand in front of me with a BlackBerry," said Belodoff, who owns E&B Floors, a floor installation business, in Plainview, L.I.

Belodoff said when his attempts to notify the flight attendant grew fruitless, he yelled out in frustration.

"So, I yell to him, ‘She’s on her BlackBerry!’¤" he recounted.

When the plane takes off "she’s still on it and I’m ringing my buzzer [to notify the flight attendant]. And finally, I said, ‘What is wrong with you?’ And I’m getting louder and louder."

Belodoff said that a flight attendant eventually persuaded Huffington to turn off the device and place it in her pocketbook, which was in an overhead bin, but she had been using it for at least 10 minutes after the plane was airborne.

Angry about what happened, he confronted the flight attendant about his alleged refusal to confront Huffington.

"I told him, ‘There’s probably a reason why they want you to turn it off on take off and upon landing,’ " he said.

"He says, ‘We’ll take care of it when we land.’

"I told him, ‘You didn’t even reprimand her!’

"’He tells me, ‘Calm down, sir!’ I told him I was calm. If I wasn’t calm, I would have ripped it out of her hand!’ "

She put the use of the BlackBerry ahead of the safety of the entire plane," he fumed.

~~~~~

Does it irk you when people think they are above the safety rules 'enforced' by the airlines?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• He seems quite combative

I usually mind my own business, I HATE flying so Im just hail marying myself anyways.....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Yes, definitely.
    One time I was in line for TS to scan my bags...it was a long line, and I guess it's "their right" to RANDOMLY pull bags from people in line and push them through WITHOUT A SCAN OR SEARCH! I was outraged! I confronted the officer for TSA and told him what had happened, and asked what if someone had compromising materials in their bag like bomb stuff or whatever? Your willing to compromise the safety of people, just to hurry a line up?
    Seriously, I would have rather waited BEHIND this man and had his bag checked than to have them even randomly take mine! I was SO ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So much for SAFETY!!!!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:40 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I would not have the guts to say anything but I would be really scared that the Blackberry would interfere with the plane's instrumentation and all that. I have always been afraid of flying---particlularly when we were assigned to a base in Germany( twice) and had to fly over the ocean.
    OMG....I have nightmares about the plane trying to take off but crashing. Ewwww. I am too timid but I would want to report someone who wouldn't turn off their cell phone.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• I have said something to a passenger before... I was on a 22 flying journey to Asia... Business Class.. Drunk man next to me talking on his cell phone while flight attendants doing their 'safety brief' and plane taxiing down runway... I asked him to please hang up. He looked at me and kept talking.. So, I told the FA and he became an ass to her. She felt bad for me, she moved me to first class to get away from him..
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• All of this could have been prevented if Arianna Huffington put away her Blackberry when the plane was taking off.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• All of this could have been prevented if Arianna Huffington put away her Blackberry when the plane was taking off.

I wonder if her picture is in the dictionary next to the word, elitest.

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Ha ha! To the comment above
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I wonder if itwas a mullet wearing good old boy using his Blackberry and being arrogant with a flight attendant ,you would feel differently? His actions would be identical to Arianna Huffington but you call her "elitist"? I call anyone who won't follow rule idiots. Mullet wearing good old boys amd Huffington. Both the same. Bad attitudes are just that : bad, ....not elitist.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:34 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• hubby flies alot and really hasn't seen a whole lot of what goes on with certain news stories like this. mostly it's a drunk, or a nervous woman who had some wine without a meal prior to boarding that causes the problems. the flight staff for each and every carrier really should treat each and every passenger the same, but that never happens. when dh flew sitting next to John Goodman to NO-LA they were given free drinks and basically allowed to party and get rowdy with attendants the whole way there and then meet and greet the pilots.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

•  

All of this could have been prevented if Arianna Huffington put away her Blackberry when the plane was taking off.

O this post was a bash Arianna post...silly me...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:07 AM on Jan. 13, 2011