What is a troll?

One of my very first posts on here, someone called me a 'troll' and I thought that was a weird and rude comment. Then I saw someone on another post calling another mom a 'troll.' I don't understand.... what kind of lingo is this? Is this some new slang that I don't get, because I'm old and unhip? Can someone please explain to me wtf a troll is? Is this some weird acronym? Is this just a Cafe Mom expression? I'm so lost. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2011 in About CafeMom

• a troll is a sh%$ starter someone who posts to make trouble.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It's a fake, basically lol
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• It's a very popular word used around here as you can see by this.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• If you don't know what a troll is how can you post anon?
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 12:20 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll

If you click that link, you can read all about trolls and the various ways in which they do their trolling. It's definitely nothing unique to cafemom and I'm always amused by people who think it is....where have they been for the last 20 years?!?!
    Anyway, the main types of trolls we get in Answers are people who create accounts and then immediately start posting really stupid crap that may be sexual in nature. You can usually tell they are trolls by the fact that they are new, and that their very first post is something outrageous and designed to either upset or shock the moms hanging out here. It totally amazes me how many people fall for it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:15 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I'm even more confused now. Why would someone call me a troll? I don't start shit! I thought the whole purpose of Cafe Mom was to help, support, advise, share joy, etc. together as moms?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Stacie, no. no. no. Not on the internet, lmao!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I am starting to believe that (around here) a troll is someone who points fingers and screams troll. People are too quick with the term around here.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 8:14 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I've noticed that a lot of the new members are called trolls, whether they are starting trouble or not. I'm sorry that happened to you.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2011

• What Is A Troll?

The term derives from "trolling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The troll posts a message, often in response to an honest question, that is intended to upset, disrupt or simply insult the group.

Usually, it will fail, as the troll rarely bothers to match the tone or style of the group, and usually its ignorance shows.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2011