WHAT CAN I DO FROM PREVENTING MY 1 WEEK OLD DAUGHTERS HEAD FROM DENTING IN WHILE SHE IS LYING DOWN IS THERE A CERTAIN PILLOW I CAN USE?

RONISHA

Asked by RONISHA at 5:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The best thing to do to prevent your baby from having a flat head is to hold her...a lot! At this age, they need mommies warmth more than ever. I strongly suggest a sling. You'll be able to have her near and still get stuff done.
    Good luck and congratulations!
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• This is a myth. It won't happen. You do not need any special pillows or positioners. In fact the use of ANY pillows or positioners increases her risk of dying from SIDS. Remember - no pillows, no blankets, no bumper pads, no stuffed animals until she can roll over on her own. The only thing in the crib should be her.

Oh - and CONGRATS on a wonderful, brand new baby girl! Amazing little things, aren't they?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• WHen we brought my daughter home- our doctor told us to try to put her head to different side when she slept. Not but the baby on her side- but turn her head. So sometimes we'd lay her with her head straight up, sometimes facing the left and then the right. After a few weeks- she put her head where she wanted it so it didn't matter anymore. She has quite a nice round head now at 6 months!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Tummy time is another good way to prevent misshapen heads! My little guy had a big strong neck right away, so we were able to start tummy time from Day 1...you might have to wait a little longer, but as soon as you think she can handle it for a few minutes, get her on that belly!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I am sorry to tell kaycee14, but it isn't a myth. Flat heads or Plagiocephaly is actually becoming a huge issue because of everyone being told to put their children to sleep on their backs. Yes, most defintely put your daughter to bed on her back. But she can sleep in her tummy during supervised nap time. Letting my daughter nap on my chest was one of my favorite things to do at that age. Just basically avoid putting her on her back all the time. Putting her in a sling or a carrier can also reduce the amount of time pressure is put on her head. Just enjoy holding her and loving her and she will be just fine.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• give it time. even if her head dents in or flatten it will shape itself to what its supposed to be. the bones in her skull haven't fused yet. DO check with your Dr.
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 11:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Try laying them down so that toys or mobiles force them to turn there head to the left or right. For example, if your baby is developing a soft spot on the right side of their head, you can put a toy or mobile for them to look at on their left side in order for them to turn their head that way to prevent too much lying on one side.
    nel2359

Answer by nel2359 at 4:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• There is a product called a noggin nest by boppy. You can use it in the car seat, bouncy seat, and swing but NOT in bed.

Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 15, 2008