I think my 5 month old baby has her nights and days confused, any tips on how I could fix that?

My 5 month old daughter has never been a good sleeper but lately it's been dreadful. She sleeps well, just not at the times I need her to. She usually goes to sleep at 2 o'clock and wakes up at about 12 in the afternoon. I don't know what to do. Should I keep her awake during the day? Is it bad for her not to sleep? I'm a new mom, and I've been getting all kinds of "advice" from relatives and friends. None of them have told me something positive. Most of them advice against keeping her up and some say she'll out grow it. But I can't do it anymore, I'm amassing a full set of luggage under my eyes. I work part-time and though it's not many hours it's still affecting me. My husband works full time and is no help at all, (not that I blame him.) Sometimes I want to break down crying... What can I do?

Auramom24

Asked by Auramom24 at 12:19 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try having her nap in the living room, or with her door open where it's a little noisier. Don't pull the window shades, let there be some natural light. At nighttime have her sleep in her crib or with you if you cosleep, have it dark and quiet. Good luck!
    CrunchyBran

Answer by CrunchyBran at 12:33 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Maybe try waking her up in the morning, but have something entertaining i.e. new toy, music, go outside (the store, or if it's nice where you live) to keep her wanting to stay up. I wouldn't necessarily stop her from falling asleep but just monitor how long she does during the day, hopefully she'll sleep more at night then... good luck, I hope you find something that works for you!
    amygoetsch

Answer by amygoetsch at 12:52 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Don't let her sleep till noon. wake her up at 8 a.m.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:58 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I remember my daughter, who is 2 now, did that. She was about 2 months old .This went on for about a few week or so. I started to limit her day time naps to about 2 or 3 hrs When I woke her up, which in its self was a pain in the ass to keep her awake. When I did get her up, I held her up right see if she might have to burp, which was often! My own little sailor!! lol or if that didn't work I rubbed her or took off some of her clothes. Since I live in MI and she was born in Nov I would open the window just a LITTLE BIT, and that worked real well. Since yours is oldee, u might not have to do all that. I also made sure I didn't try to be quiet when she was sleeping, and kept doing the same things as I did when I was pregnant. My 70lb dog like to bark if he see another dog across the street. She never even flinched. I bought a book called "What to Expect When You are Expecting" I loved that book, and it came in handy ALOT!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:30 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Wake her up in the mornings when you get up. A fairly good schedule for both mom and baby that age is 3 naps/day - one in the morning, one in the afternoon, and a short evening snooze around supper. How long the naps are will vary by baby, but routine and consistency are good for babies. One thing that helped with keeping my baby up when it was "awake time" was going somewhere - new sights, new sounds, etc.

Answer by missanc at 8:59 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• It will take one day to fix it. Have a family or friend come over to keep her up for a day. it will not hurt her. Allow one small nap. But the next morning get her up at 8am and keep her awake untill nap time.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:33 AM on Jan. 13, 2011