Boy, have I got some info I need to share!

Hopefully someone will give me some good advise. A store was going after a young lady who was caught stealing, she jumped into an RV, hit 2 cars on her way out of the parking lot and later police found the RV parked on a neighboring street, it too was stolen. They showed her mug shot and she is one of our customers!! The police are looking for her, but, I work in a pharmacy and our customers are protected by the HIPPA laws, everything is confidential. It kills me that I know where she hangs out and where her mom lives but can't say anything, any advise? What would you do?

Kathy675

Asked by Kathy675 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• Law Enforcement Purposes. Covered entities may disclose protected health information to law enforcement officials for law enforcement purposes under the following six circumstances, and subject to specified conditions:; (2) to identify or locate a suspect, fugitive, material witness, or missing person;

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/index.html

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 1:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Put in an anonamous call...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• she probably needs this reality check. My mom had to have someone arrested for fraud and when the woman was arrested, in my moms place of work, she brought her son, and her son had to see her taken away, kicking and screaming. The cops were going to take him in but the father was coming from living out of town to get him. So my mom ended up just watching him and taking him shopping LOL the cops knew my mom so it was cool with them and the dad. Anyway, they were talking and the boy, who was 9 maybe 10 was saying this is normal for him to see his mom acting like that, and the he knows she does drugs and all this stuff. He was happy to go to his dad.

So I guess my point is, you will probably be doing more of a favor that you know at the moment.

The mom, of what I know, is trying to take back control of her life. But her ex has custody of the son now.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:22 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I would call anoymously and tell them that she is a regular customer at your store. That is it. And it shouldn't be breaking any HIPPA laws. You are not giving information about her medical history.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:54 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Its not like your going to call them and tell them her medical history...... hmmm maybe a danger to herself and others? I know some medical thats ok not sure if that would be HIPPA though.

I say report her
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:56 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• HippA is for medical info not this...I would call anon and leave it at that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• As long as you are not telling them about her health info HIPPA wouldn't really apply. It's no different than if she were a regular customer somewhere else and always paid by cheque and you had her name and address that way. But if you're really worried about violating HIPPA, I'm sure there must be a number you can call to ask about it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I thought of that. I've really got to think this through.
    Kathy675

Comment by Kathy675 (original poster) at 12:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Whats tragic about this story is she's 30yrs old, single mom with a 9yr old son in her care. Makes me sick!!! Her moms health is bad, what the hell is wrong with these idiots! (Just talking out loud)
    Kathy675

Comment by Kathy675 (original poster) at 1:03 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Thanks Charis, I'll look at that tomorrow when I'm more alert. Don't know why I didn't think of it.
    Kathy675

Comment by Kathy675 (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Jan. 13, 2011