Question for Christians who know their stuff..

My sister was raised Christian, but she believes this religion does not express who she is and she doesn't really believe in Christianity's God. However she is an amazing person who has dedicated her life t helping others. She has funded an orphanage and knows every single kid by name, she loves every single one of them and she also helps in many way by volunteering and donating. She has no life of her own, she only lives for the lives of these children.

I still believe in God and I am worried about her religious choices. God is said to be punishing those who do not believe in Him, right?

My sister is an amazing person and I am sure that I- a believer- am way more sinful than she is. Why would she get punished for not believing in God when she is so unselfish and loving?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• i was rasied christian also and we believe if u were raised in the church and u kno about god and u turn ur back to him its still bad even if u do great things for the world.
    ambie1992

Answer by ambie1992 at 1:46 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• She obviously believes some of Christianitys ways to be such a loving, giving & kind person. God isn't going to turn his back on her because she doesn't believe everything about this particular religion. That's crazy! My God loves all, regardless of their choices! And I'm a Christian :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:05 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• There are a lot of christian religions that teach that God is just punishment and not mercy, not counting the false preachers that teach one thing and do other and some using religion for profit, that is very discouraging to anyone but at the end God knows what is really on the heart of every person example Mark 12:43 also Psalm 33:13-15. Talk to her but do not try to force your views on her I think it would be better if you try to find out why she does not believe and then you and her can look for the answer. If you just want to talk about it you can contact me good luck to you
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 2:15 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• The Bible is full of scripture that clearly states that there are no amount of good works one can do to get into the Kingdom of Heaven. God doesn't see someone that is chairatable and does good works as going to Heaven because of that. God doesn't see someone who does not do chairtable things as not going to Heaven. It comes down to one question and one question only in His eyes-Does this person believe in God and has he/she accepted Him as their personal savior and repented of their sins. Heaven contains no Baptists, Catholics, Protestants, Methodist, etc. Everyone in Heaven is one thing-ppl who have been washed in the blood of the lamb. Jesus died and paid for ALL sins. Without Him doing that we would not get to Heaven ever. When we repent we are asking God(in Jesus' name) to forgive us because God can only do that through Jesus. John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoesoever cont
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:37 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.
    SweetLoveofMine

• Punishment? I'm not sure I understand... are you asking why would she be damned to hell? or Why would she be punished for being a non believer.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 3:13 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Because the only important thing in christianity is belief.

I was raised christian, but i'm not anymore. Christianity holds that hell is the place for all who have rejected god and jesus and for that people deserve to burn in hell.
    One of the reasons i don't like christianity. A good person is a good person, a good deed is a good deed.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 6:09 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I don't believe God punishes anyone for how they believe. There are many of us Christians who don't believe in hell or at least that God wouldn't send "good" people there.

I agree with Kathy - the God I believe in is love and wisdom and grace, and a God like that wouldn't subject someone to "punishment" merely because of how they believed, especially when belief is so often out of our control. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:22 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• her decision is hers. let her have it. that should not change anything between the two of you.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:24 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• I no longer consider myself a Christian, but I follow many of Jesus' teachings. Jesus said to love God and love your neighbors (and enemies) to attain eternal life. And he said that belief alone is NOT enough (so our actions and how we treat others matter), when he said, "Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” in Matthew 7:21. In John 4:7-12, it says, ".....Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.....No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.", which to me means that anyone who shows love for others loves God.

As others already said, it's her life and her decision on how she wants to view the idea of God and the Universe. She is treating others with love and compassion, and that is essence of what Jesus taught whatever her beliefs.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 13, 2011