How can I get my 1 month old to sleep through the night or in longer periods?

I am breastfeeding so I am always worried she isn't getting enough. She refuses to use a pacifier or take formula and she is still waking up EVERY 3 hours. When it comes to 1 AM she wants to be held all night long. I am so tired though that I just want to feed her and put her back to bed. Well then she starts screaming bloody murder and I've tried the Sears Method but after about an hour (Yes an hour. I said I was tired.) I felt like it wasn't doing any good so I might as well pick her up so she can shut up.
Any advice at all?

tayylor

Asked by tayylor at 1:49 AM on Jan. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I hate to be the bearer of bad news but all 1 month old babies (especially breastfed ones) wake every 2-3 hours at night to be fed. Her little body is growing like crazy and she needs all those calories. I suggest getting a co-sleeper beside you bed so that you don't have to get up in the middle of the night. You can just reach over and lay baby in bed with you(with covers WAY below baby) and put baby to the breast. This position really helps milk production. You'll drift off to sleep and baby will too and baby will ave the comfort of you there. Try it. Also pump some milk in a bottle before bed and let daddy do a feeding at night or some other adult if available. Try not to stress, it's hard in the first few months but I promise you it gets better.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:55 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• first of all, she is getting plenty of milk. get some soft music and play for her while shes in her bed. i have this bear that makes a womb sound that is a good idea. babies wake up at lest ever two or more hours to eat. good luck on trying to get her to sleep through the night when she gets ooder, because my son is 1 and hes still not sleeping through the night. he goes to bed like at 3 or 4 in the morning.
    dement

Answer by dement at 2:00 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• Yup and I know how u feel!! I breast fed my daughter for about 3 months intil the doctor told me she wasn't gaining enough weight and had me feeding her formula, with the breast milk mixed in. I hated to do that, but my baby came first. The benefit I got was she started sleeping 5 to 6 hrs!!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:03 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• i BF my ds and his doc had me make sure he was waking up at least every 3hours to eat, yes even during the night, because he wouldn't wake up on his own. so i had to set my alarm every 3 hours to wake him up. that went on until he was about 3 months old. 1 month is way to young to go more than 3-4 hours not eating. their stomachs are very small. my ds is now 9 months and he sleeps 8pm-6 or 7am most of the time without waking. so it does get better, and yes it is tiring, but at this age they need to eat (all the time) lol. hang in there!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:14 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• If you're still breastfeeding be careful and mindful of what you are eating. Caffeine is a very sneaky ingredient. Also try a soothing bath and not holding her when she wants try putting her in a bouncy with music in the background... but then again she is only one month old so hang in there it will get better!
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 3:22 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• At 1 month, most babies are still waking every 3 hours even at night. My best advice is to not let her sleep long period during the day - make sure she doesn't go more than 3 hours between feedings when it's daytime, then at night let her sleep until she wakes up hungry. It is tiring, I know, but it gets better! If you have a husband, he should be helping out at night (not that he can feed her, but he can hold, rock, or cuddle with her)

Answer by missanc at 8:56 AM on Jan. 13, 2011

• She's only waking every 3 hours?? That's fantastic for a 1 month old!! I think my first little guy was waking every 1-2 hours at that age!

You can't expect any better than this... this is as good as it gets with a one month old baby. She's perfect, nothing wrong with her and nothing you can do to change her.

What you can do is change your self. Change your expectations (expect this kind of waking for at *least* the first year) and change your habits and routine so that you can get enough rest for the long term.

Most important thing is to co-sleep. She gets what she needs (which is lots of milk) and you get what you need (which is lots of sleep). It's win-win. Nighttime feeding is very important to infants, not only are their stomachs tiny, but the frequent waking helps to protect them from things like SIDS and saber-tooths (yea, they don't know it's not caveman times anymore!).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:27 AM on Jan. 13, 2011